need advice on site permissions and stuff

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by twoodcc, Jun 27, 2009.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, i have a site up for listening to music. i know it could be setup differently, and i'm open to suggestions, but for now, it works.

anyways, the site is here

right now the bad thing is that you have to hit the back button after you play a song to get to the index (list of songs to play)

but right now, users can right click on a song and download it. how can i stop this from happening? is this a permissions problem?

thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Permissions won't help. If they can hear/see it they can get it. You can use a Flash player to stream the content. You could embed the media in a embed/object tag, but this won't protect it either, but it would take away the right-click and save as options from the visitor.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply. did you take a look at the site? is there an easy way to get it to play in a php web page? so i can have a link to click to get back to the index, or even play inside the index?

thanks

4. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Are you absolutely sure about the legalities of putting up songs on a website? This does not sound like a good idea to me.

Any way - all you can do is make it harder for people to download but anyone with sufficient knowledge and tools is going to get to the songs anyway.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I don't use audio/video on sites, partly because it can be a pain. I'd have to work from a tutorial like this one. You should also look a this other thread here and visit some of the links to explore other possibilities.

6. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply.

you might be right. i'm not trying to bring attention to this site, just for me to be able to listen to my music where ever i am.

thanks. i'll look at both of those links

7. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Oh - so in that case why don't you simply enable authentication on the web server and keep the user id and password to yourself? If you tell what web server you are running I might be able to tell you have - that is going to be way quicker than embedding and streaming.

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm hosting this on my own - it's just leopard running apache and mysql and php. i kinda like php, so that's another reason i made the site. i have a few other php sites that i made as well (nothing to do with streaming)

9. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

See the below URL for a hint on how to enable BASIC authentication for Apache - this should prevent anyone else from downloading the songs - only people who know the password can get to it -

http://macosx.com/forums/howto-faqs/12005-howto-password-protect-apache-folders.html

10. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks. i'll check out the link

EDIT: after looking at the link, i have a question: will people that doesn't have the username and password be able to still play the music files? will they be able to view the site at all?