Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

risswex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
Seattle
Hi guys, the question of buying a new MacBook Air has come up, I've got my eye on a MacBook Air 13″.

But I can't decide between M3, RAM 8 GB or M2 RAM 16 GB.

Anyone who might know what would be much better to choose here, the new generation M3 or the RAM.

I won't use it for gaming, just for studying at uni or watching videos.

Thank you

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
If you’re a student be sure to check out the discount that Apple gives. I’d go 16GB M2 for what it’s worth.

Reactions: risswex

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
for any resale value in the long term (+3 yrs from now) don't buy the 8Gb RAM. Will be hard to sell a 2nd hand 8Gb RAM Mac around 2027/2028.

Get the 16Gb

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Go for the M3/16GB/512GB config if you can stretch to it, or just wait for Amazon to lop $100-$200 off in due course like they usually do. There's no 16GB M2 SKU's available, so I wouldn't be ordering one from Apple with the M3 now available.

If money is a real issue then there's some absolute bargains to be had with M2/8GB configs. But I'd strongly advise picking up a machine with 16GB.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Never buy in a hurry unless you have absolutely no other choice. That’s the path to regrets.

Even a day or two of reading the forums and reviews can spare you future hassles, limits, disappointments.

8GB is enough for the overwhelming majority of users (but not the techies on MR).

I'm with Torty — get the M3 with a bunch of improvements and longer support.

OTOH, if you're convinced you need 16GB, get an M3 16GB. If you can't afford an extra $100 (M3 over M2), you likely shouldn't be buying a computer costing over a thousand dollars at all! At least not now…

The amount of storage is a bigger factor for many users — don't shortchange yourself or fall prey to the arguments of you can always add more external storage — that’s a recipe for inconvenient Dongle !*%*#!

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
fall prey to the arguments of you can always add more external storage — that’s a recipe for inconvenient Dongle !*%*#!
Perhaps. But external storage also provides a different location for the storage of data that is not on the computer. Which will fail at some point, generally the most inconvenient time.

One could counter argue the external device has just as much of a chance at failing so perhaps no benefit.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
In releasing the M3 with a base of 8Gb, Apple are clearly signaling that there's at least 5 cars of support for 8Gb RAM yet to come, so the question is whether 8Gb is enough for the individual use case rather than in principle.

That's pretty easy is most cases, since yes, it usually is. For example, I use my M1 MBA every day, usually Safari open with a few tabs, LibreOffice for documents, Mail for email, Quicktime for video playback, DOSBox-x for, well, DOS, and 4K video downloader for YouTube. The system doesn't show any signs of issues, memory is at about 80% use (it never falls below 60% because that's how macOS dynamic memory allocation works), and it only gets warm with extensive downloading.

I'd recommend 16Gb if doing a lot of work with other browsers such as Chrome, using multiple tabs, because these aren't always so good at memory management, and more RAM is also useful if coding or doing software development, or the like. Video production/editing is fine in 8Gb until you get into Final Cut Pro, when 16 is notably better.

Generally, a good rule of thumb is to buy the most RAM you can get in your budget, but as important is which applications you're going to use. Apple's mainstream apps almost always run happily in the base configuration models, but their 'pro' software and some 3rd-party apps can struggle a bit.

The only reason not to buy an M2 MBA is whether or not it suffers the bottleneck problem with a single SSD 'chip' over the M1 and M3 twin chips. Even that doesn't impact performance all that much, though it shows up as inferior disk read and write performance in benchmarks.

There will be discounts on the M3 models in places such as Amazon in due course, but there are already some good prices on M2 MBAs that are worth looking out for - even via Apple's refurb store.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
6 major updates per SOC you can count by yourself until when your MacBook will be supported.

what is SOC in the context? System-on-Chip?
Does this mean that every Mac is built to support at least 6 Main OS updates from when it is launched?
I bought a MBP in 2018 and still run it on Mojave...how long do you think it will last?

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Does this mean that every Mac is built to support at least 6 Main OS updates from when it is launched?
I bought a MBP in 2018 and still run it on Mojave...how long do you think it will last?
Welcome to the club. But why did you got a 2018 mbp for that? I run Mojave on my 2012 MBP. And it’s not fun anymore cause of lack of support.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Apple usually provides OS updates for 5-6 years after a model is discontinued, and security updates for 2-ish years beyond that.

If you're still on Mojave you really should consider upgrading unless you have 32 bit apps you use that will not be compatible with Catalina or later; Mojave stopped receiving regular security updates years ago.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Apple usually provides OS updates for 5-6 years after a model is discontinued, and security updates for 2-ish years beyond that.

If you're still on Mojave you really should consider upgrading unless you have 32 bit apps you use that will not be compatible with Catalina or later; Mojave stopped receiving regular security updates years ago.

Im considering it...but now the system won't let me connect to the Appstore app on the MBP
"CANNOT CONNECT TO APPSTORE"

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I bought a PowerBook 170 in 1992, and it is still running quite happily. A month or two shy of 32 years isn't bad, though it got its last OS update in 1994. Of course they weren't free, or frequent in those days.

More realistically, I have a 2016 or 17 MBP which is still regularly used today, and while I'm not sure it would update to the latest macOS (and I wouldn't want it to) on the software it came with and I subsequently added to it, it runs as new. In Harare terms, Apple have had a few ups and downs, but typically they're very reliable.

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Took me a bit of time to make up my mind but chose the M3, 16GB with 512 SSD and coming from a 2015 12" MacBook the difference in speed and responsiveness is worth the extra I paid as I like to hang on to them for a while. Picked it up today and very happy with the choice I made. Went for the Starlight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.