Need advice on upgrading to 4.1 or not

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by KentuckyHouse, Sep 9, 2010.

1. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'll try to keep this brief. My girlfriend picked up the iPhone 4 tonight and it came with 4.0.2 (no big surprise). I told her right away that she wouldn't be able to jailbreak yet and that's no big deal. She's content to wait.

I want to make sure I give her good info, though, so here's the question.

It's her first iPhone. As stated, it's 4.0.2 right now. BUT...her current iTunes version is 9.0.2.25 (she has a 1st Gen iPod). Obviously, iTunes is gonna prompt her to upgrade to iTunes 10 and iOS 4.1 when she plugs the iPhone in to sync. My question is, since she can't jailbreak anyway being on 4.0.2, should she just go ahead and update both iTunes to 10 and her iPhone 4 to 4.1? I mean, she's not really losing the ability to do anything by updating, correct?

The only thing that's giving me pause is the baseband update that I've been reading about with 4.1. I know she could use TinyUmbrella to get her SHSH right now for 4.0.2, but does that really do anything for her since she can't jailbreak it anyway? Obviously it preserves her baseband, though, so it's not a bad idea, right?

Help a brotha out...lol.

2. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

If she intends on ever unlocking her phone then she should wait. Otherwise, update away.

3. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Ah...great point, hurriance. I should've added that piece of info to the OP. We're with AT&T, so she won't be needing to unlock the phone in the future.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

If you can still get the hash for 4.0.2 go for it, it won't take you too much time and will make you fell more relaxed while you wait for a jb...

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you plan to sell the phone in the future, you get more money if it's unlocked. If Apple has figured out a way to kill the unlock, you'll be screwed (and not in the good way).

6. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Damn, that's another good point. LOL.

Alright, so I'm gonna do some reading on preserving the baseband with TinyUmbrella before updating to 4.1.