Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CCprince

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Hye guys, been following this forum for half a year ago when i'm still deciding on getting a Macbook Pro VS iMac, and i just purchased online order at 12pm today. (after waiting for loooooong time for 2014 model)

Following are the details of what i purchased...

• 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
• 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
• Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of DDR5 memory
**I even purchased applecare.. so 3 years of warraty in total..

Questions, as i'm going to useit to edit visuals for broadcast i.e documentaries, travelogues, concerts and ect which might be at least a 24 mins programmes to 1 hour an half program )

1. Is the FCPX a better choice editing for a new user (i'm relatively new to Mac, and previously i had little experience using Edius and FCP7 ..

2. What should i check to make sure my Macbook is maintained in a good condition for heavy editing?

Sorry for my english, it's not my main language.

Thank you for your kind guidance !!
:)

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hye guys, been following this forum for half a year ago when i'm still deciding on getting a Macbook Pro VS iMac, and i just purchased online order at 12pm today. (after waiting for loooooong time for 2014 model)

Following are the details of what i purchased...

• 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
• 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
• Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of DDR5 memory
**I even purchased applecare.. so 3 years of warraty in total..

Questions, as i'm going to useit to edit visuals for broadcast i.e documentaries, travelogues, concerts and ect which might be at least a 24 mins programmes to 1 hour an half program )

1. Is the FCPX a better choice editing for a new user (i'm relatively new to Mac, and previously i had little experience using Edius and FCP7 ..

2. What should i check to make sure my Macbook is maintained in a good condition for heavy editing?

Sorry for my english, it's not my main language.

Thank you for your kind guidance !!
:)

Congrats on your purchase!

Your rMBP is a beast of a machine. For a new user, you could experiment around with FCP X or Adobe Premiere Pro. FCP X is more like a beefed-up version of iMovie to me, however. I suggest you give Premiere Pro a try first (you can download a trial of it from Adobe).

For maintenance, just use it as you would normally use it. You can also go buy a cooling pad for it, if you think it's necessary.

CCprince

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Congrats on your purchase!

Your rMBP is a beast of a machine. For a new user, you could experiment around with FCP X or Adobe Premiere Pro. FCP X is more like a beefed-up version of iMovie to me, however. I suggest you give Premiere Pro a try first (you can download a trial of it from Adobe).

For maintenance, just use it as you would normally use it. You can also go buy a cooling pad for it, if you think it's necessary.

Thanks !! :)

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Although I use Premiere Pro myself (and the full Adobe suite) Final Cut Pro X is getting a lot of love these days from editors. It is probably a bit easier to learn (though a course on editing is well worth the investment). Also, you don't need a subscription for FCP X. You pay once and that's it. And it is designed for the person doing most of their own work. Premiere Pro is a lot like what Final Cut Pro 8 would have been.

I'm using the same machine. There are two things that will make all of the difference in terms of editing properly. A fast external hard disk to hold all of your media is essential. A 7200RPM USB3 or thunderbolt drive works well for most footage. For footage that is high resolution, you'll want a RAID drive. No media should be on your system drive! Also, I find it essential for effective editing to have a second monitor. You can spend from ten bucks on Craigslist to a couple hundred for something awesome. Also, if you are using premiere, you want to download the latest Nvidia drivers.

CCprince

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Although I use Premiere Pro myself (and the full Adobe suite) Final Cut Pro X is getting a lot of love these days from editors. It is probably a bit easier to learn (though a course on editing is well worth the investment). Also, you don't need a subscription for FCP X. You pay once and that's it. And it is designed for the person doing most of their own work. Premiere Pro is a lot like what Final Cut Pro 8 would have been.

I'm using the same machine. There are two things that will make all of the difference in terms of editing properly. A fast external hard disk to hold all of your media is essential. A 7200RPM USB3 or thunderbolt drive works well for most footage. For footage that is high resolution, you'll want a RAID drive. No media should be on your system drive! Also, I find it essential for effective editing to have a second monitor. You can spend from ten bucks on Craigslist to a couple hundred for something awesome. Also, if you are using premiere, you want to download the latest Nvidia drivers.

Okay, that's a nice help from you.. :) how long do you take to render a 30 minute 1080 HD final product? I don't have much of friends having macbookpro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.