Need advice on warranty service

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MsMerryMac, Jun 6, 2014.

1. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

I will try to make this short. My June 2013 MBA (purchased in December) suddenly started losing WiFi. If the unit goes to sleep or is turned off, I have to turn off WifI, turn on WiFi select the network and wait. This is uber frustrating. So, being awesome as Apple is, they replaced the WiFi card for me (in under a day!) and sent me on my way. The problem. Still. Exists. I have tried it on multiple networks at different locations, even in another part of the state, to no avail. All other WiFi products (all Apple) work fine in my home and elsewhere so i know it isn't my router or the like.

Apple has requested I bring it in again on Tuesday so they can resolve this issue. Honestly, I don't know what else they can fix so should I insist on a replacement? An upgrade?

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Did this by chance start happening shortly after an OS or other software update? This might be an OS issue.

3. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

Wait and see what they tell before you start demanding a replacement or an upgrade (not sure why you would get an upgrade).

Seems like they tried to resolve the issue once and they are acknowledging the problem still exists and will try to resolve it again. Like scaredpoet mentioned since the hardware replacement didn't fix things it could be something on the software side of things.

Did you do an update to the OS? Or install/update any other software on the computer before the problem began?

4. MsMerryMac thread starter macrumors regular

I did actually perform all updates. It wasn't like this to begin with. The tech at the Genius Bar thinks it may be the antenna...? The manager did tell me that if that is the case, they would replace the entire laptop rather than dismantle the display of a six-month-old Air.

I wouldn't "demand" an upgrade. Just wondered if that would be a good option, certainly would be happy to pay the difference. I've just read SO many threads here and on Apple Support about WiFi issues on the Air and fear a replacement will bring the same issue.

I'll let you know what happens on Tuesday at the Genius Bar.

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

My 2013 13" MBA (purchased in August '13) will on occasion lose wifi or not connect (or even see a wifi network at all) after sleep (although not after power off/on). I have to shut it off and power it back on for it to scan networks. I'll bring mine in and see what they say.

6. MsMerryMac thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE

So today I went to the Genius Bar with my WiFi loss issue again after they replaced the WiFi card. They replicated the problem but said they did everything they normally do to resolve it.

In the end, they gave me a brand new MBA (mine was purchased in December 2013) and they said that it is a known issue but simply reinstalling the OS won't fix it...kind of like putting a brand new house on a cracked foundation, is what the genius said.

So, they actually upgraded me to the highest MBA configuration possible in exchange for the ailing Air I took in. i'm not complaining about the extra RAM, etc!

Another satisfied Apple customer.:)

7. BSoares macrumors regular

Nice... what was the config on your bad MBA?

8. MsMerryMac thread starter macrumors regular

The very lowest specs on the old MBA. I mostly use it for writing but am happy now that I can possibly toss a game or two on it and run at decent frame rates!:D