Need Advice on what MPB to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nisca11, May 7, 2008.

1. nisca11 macrumors newbie

I am going to be buying a new MacBook Pro this week, I don't want to wait for the maybe updates of June. I was trying to decide between the base 2.4 and the midlevel 2.5.

My problem is this, I don't know if the cache increase, graphics card, HD and chip upgrades are worth the extra 500 dollars.

I am upgrading from a last Rev Powerbook G4, so anything will be a big speed gain. I was just wondering if the graphics bump to 512mb from 256mb is worth it.

Any help would be very appreciated. I search on here but couldn't find any definitive answers. I do variety of work. Day to day I use it mostly for surfing and email and photo editing, but a few times a month I am responsible for updating my companies website and editing their video blogs and videos on the site. So there is some heavier applications being run, but not daily.

On a side note, what screen do you think would be worth it? The glossy or the matte finish? I have seen people complain of the glare problem with the glossy, is that a universal thing, or just a few people complaining?

Thanks again for anyone who can help. I appreciate the time you can spend helping me. Have a good day.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Given the type of use you're talking about, I'd go for the base 2.4 - you're really not going to notice much difference in performance - I run Adobe CS3, VMWare fusion and a whole bunch of other fairly heavyweight stuff on my 17" 2.4SR without problems. It's worth upgrading the RAM, though (just don't do it on the Apple store - Crucial or OWC will charge you a whole lot less).

As far as the screen goes, well, you'll find rabid supporters of both types on here :p It's very much a personal thing - some folks love the extra contrast from the glossy screen, others hate it. Personally, I bought glossy and am glad I did, but if you have a chance to compare the two for yourself, I'd suggest you do so.

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

As already mentioned. The 2.4 will get you by easy enough.

If you can justify to yourself that the 2.5 is a better deal, get that. But for your needs, the base model will do it and do it well.

4. nisca11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both very much, I will stop by the local Apple store tonight to see the two screens side by side.