Need advice on what to do for my new dock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by digitalduck, Jun 9, 2010.

1. digitalduck macrumors regular

Ok, so currently i have the apple universal dock...good for audio, comes wiht no video cables and doesnt charge.. although does have an out for it..

the pirce of the cables alone made me look at the Dynex dock DX-IPDR. Doesnt look like its component, but at least it does video.

So my dilema is this.. i bought a small usb charger for my apple dock so at least now it will charge and play audio.. im wondering if i should just buy seperate component cables for my apple dock, or should I buy that dynex dock that will charge and do video..

Thanks

2. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

3. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

Not quite understanding this. You're saying it does and does not charge? It has an "out" for charging but will not charge? As far as I know, if you use the wall adapter, the apple dock will charge.

When you say "doesn't look like its component" are you asking whether the apple dock is a component of the Dynex dock?

So you are saying that you cannot "do video" on the apple dock but you can on the Dynex? What exactly do you mean by "do video?" I'm pretty sure your iPad will "do video."

It's extremely difficult to understand what you are saying. You might want to rephrase this thread by clearly stating what it is you're looking for. I think you are asking about cables, but I'm not sure -- if that is the case, you can find them on eBay for one to two dollars a piece.

4. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry my bad...what i meant was that my apple dock does not charge as of now... i did buy some $5 adaptors and cables so at least it will charge in a couple ofdays..

However, it does NOT do video out because itdidnt come with any cables..

enter the Dynex, it DOES have video out but its only coax and not component...

im wondering if i should buy the dynex since it charges and does video or if i should buy some component cables for my apple dock?

Thanks

5. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

By "doing video" you mean it connects to a TV?

If that is the case, you might want to ask yourself "Do I want my iPad to be able to connect to a TV while it is charging?" If the answer is yes, then the Dynex sounds like it would be the thing for you.

6. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

So the Apple dock does not "do video" because it didn't come with a cable? Is the cable something you could just purchase from Radio Shack?

Only coax as opposed to? Not component of what? A component is a part of something else, right?

7. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, sorry i got into video lingo....Component is the name of the type of vide ot displays... RGB coax is just the standard video..

and yes I do mean it connets to a tv....its an iphone not an ipad...

I can purchase the cables from radio shack but they alone are almost the price of the DYnex..

Im simply wondering if anyone has experience with this dock and an iphone and qulity of the vido since it looks like its just s-video..

8. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

You mentioned that the apple dock has an out, but the cable wasn't supplied with the purchase. Is it is just as expensive as the cable you stated that is required by the Dynex?

Okay, so just to clarify, you're trying to find out from people if they are satisfied with the quality of S-Video output from a Dynex iPhone charger as opposed to an Apple iPhone dock than uses an entirely different video output system?

I wonder if it might be beneficial to take a look at the Dynex website and see if there are any comparative reviews of both kinds of video output side by side. That way you could make your decision based upon the positives and negatives of both. Good luck!

9. cmcclure16 macrumors regular

If the component cables for the Apple dock are priced well enough for you, then I'd go for that if component is really desirable for you.

If the Dynex dock is cheaper and you don't care all that much about it not being component out, then go for that.