Need Advice on what to do with 23" cinema display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SteelBlueTJ, Sep 28, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I recently bought a used 23" aluminum cinema display on eBay. The seller stated it was in excellent condition and was the original owner and hardly even used it much. It even came in the original box complete and everything. I was excited to receive it and hook it up to my Mac Pro. When I turned it on I immediately noticed it has a weird 1" pink gradient all around the edges. I can't seem to make it go away. It's really noticeable with a white background and in iTunes. I tried recalibrating and it won't leave. Now I don't know what to do. What would you do in my case? Should I contact the seller and let him know I'm not happy or just cut my losses and move on? I can't really make out any pinkish cast on the display in the sellers pictures or I wouldn't of bought it in the first place. I think maybe he honestly didn't realize it had this problem since it's only noticeable on lighter backgrounds. I don't want to cause problems, but it is really disappointing. I realize ebay is a gamble, and I've been buying on eBay for many years and never once had a problem. Do I have any chance here of getting my money back for this? What about the eBay buyer protection program?

On the other hand, is there any easy fix for this problem? I am assuming not.

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

These monitors were known for this problem, if you search here, you will see posts from years back talking about this hue shift on the edges and the pink.

If you got it for $200-250, I wouldn't worry about it.

I recently bought a second 23" ACD (same as yours) and it was in excellent condition and was really happy. However, I do get ghosting sometimes, but these are old LCD panels and God knows how many hours they have on them.

If it's bugging you THAT much, I would try to resell it and get a new monitor. Either a used 24" ACD (Non Thunderbolt) or a Dell (they're pretty ugly, though).

3. SteelBlueTJ thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I actually already have the 24" LED, but thought I'd try an older 23" for the matte display. Looks like I'll be going back to my 24" for now. The glossy display isn't as bad as the pink. At least the 24" works as it should. I also have a 20" aluminum display as my secondary monitor and it is perfect. That's what made me notice the pink cast of the 23" right away with both of them on together. The 20" display is very vibrant and perfect color where the 23" seems washed out and pinkish.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Yeah, these panels in the 23" ACD's were made by LG and at the time, even Dell used them and they had the same issues.

The best Alum ACD's are 30" ACD and 20" ACD. If you can get your hands on the 30" ACD, it is an excellent monitor. I have one and it's still kicking and bright. It's hard to find and it's still pricey.

I agree with the glossy display, I really dislike them. It is the future, however, we can't do much about it. You need to have a dark room for it to not get annoying. I hate seeing myself when I use glossy displays.

When I freelance, I have to use the studio Glossy displays and I positioned them in such a way that the lights don't hit them.