Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
I have an iPad Pro 12.9. I bought one of these Pencil holders from steel connect. http://www.steelconnect.co/category-s/1820.htm

The plastic piece that gets inserted into the lightning connector broke off and is lodged in the lightning connector and I can't get it out. I took it to a Cell Phone Repair place and they won't do it. Apple says I have to get a new iPad or send it in for service for $599!?!?!?

Any suggestions on who I can send this to in order to get it fixed for not $600? Or am I just screwed and sell it for parts on eBay and pay the difference for a new one? The iPad is still in great shape, and works fine. But once the battery dies, I'm screwed and I can't put the charger on.

Any ideas or help would be really appreciated. It makes it even worse that the new iPad Pro is probably coming out in March. FML.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Have you tried using a nail file with a tiny amount of very strong glue on the thin profiled edge, attach it to the plastic and wait a few minutes. Then pull, or do it with something melted like a plastic that will cool and 'solder' itself to the plastic. At worst it will either - 1. break off, no better/no worse, 2. If you are not careful stick to the iPad and then break off, or 3. Work.

Either way, keep trying.

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
I was thinking glue, but it would have to be super strong because it's not sticking out at all. I'm just concerned if glue gets on the connector internally at all, but I suppose it may be worth a try.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I was thinking glue, but it would have to be super strong because it's not sticking out at all. I'm just concerned if glue gets on the connector internally at all, but I suppose it may be worth a try.
Dab the screwdriver in the glue then touch it on the plastic. If you can get activator too there will be less waiting

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
glue be fine is small amount.

i done this after an lightning connector left the metal tip inside the charging plug.
the plastic came out but left very tip of plug behind so was unable to insert new cable enough to charge device.

time and patience is key here

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
The hard part is the plastic does seat into the port decently and it takes a little tug to pull it out. I have a nail file and I might get gorilla glue to try it with the nail file. I'm just concerned when I go to pull out the nail file, if the glue isn't super tight on the plastic, it'll just snap off.

Kekinash

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
-
Heat a needle with a lighter, carefully insert into the broken plastic piece inside the ipad, wait a minute to cool down, extract and enjoy. Never put anything in the port besides the charger or the pencil itself.

Reactions: robotica

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
Just because I haven't seen it mentioned yet;

Make sure your device is completely powered down before sticking anything into the port for extraction. Could you post a pic of it? I've had charging cables snap off while still inside but I've never seen one break off flush. Good luck!

Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Just because I haven't seen it mentioned yet;

Make sure your device is completely powered down before sticking anything into the port for extraction. Could you post a pic of it? I've had charging cables snap off while still inside but I've never seen one break off flush. Good luck!

Oh, I do. I never have it on when I'm messing around with it. Here's the pic. Hard to get a good one.
[doublepost=1484767126][/doublepost]
So if you can't borrow one, buy one.

How much can it set you back? Under $20 easy.

And it just might do the trick. I can't believe you are debating this...

I'm not debating it. I just don't know if they'll have needle nose pliers that thin tipped and serrated edges. I have no issue spending the money for it.

Attachments

• ipad-connector.png
    ipad-connector.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 224
Reactions: Jnesbitt82

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Trying glue on end of nail file. Letting it set now. Will try to remove it in an hour. Doubt it'll work, but we'll see.

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Tried it all. Nothing worked. Heated up a needle. Didn't work. Gorilla glue on nail file, didn't work. Wedging two needles on each side, didn't work.

Part of the problem is the front side of the plastic is getting beat up so less to grip to.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
Tried it all. Nothing worked. Heated up a needle. Didn't work. Gorilla glue on nail file, didn't work. Wedging two needles on each side, didn't work.

Part of the problem is the front side of the plastic is getting beat up so less to grip to.

You should definitely be able to get it out with the things mentioned above.

You will get it out eventually just keep trying a be as careful as you can.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Oh, I do. I never have it on when I'm messing around with it. Here's the pic. Hard to get a good one.
[doublepost=1484767126][/doublepost]

I'm not debating it. I just don't know if they'll have needle nose pliers that thin tipped and serrated edges. I have no issue spending the money for it.

Damn! I have to be careful with my precious iPad Pro 12.9!

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
You mentioned that you tried all the listed suggestions, but that was posted right after the idea for the dental pick from walmart, so I'm not sure if your post included that one. If you haven't already, I'd give that one a try if it were my iPad. They are pretty cheap, really sharp & they give you some grip. I would be surprised if one of those wouldn't be able to dig into the plastic & then give you enough leverage to pull out the broken part.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
You can use a grinding wheel and grind down needle nose pliers. Needle nose pliers are inexpensive and you can certainly grind down to where you could possibly get a grip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.