Need advice on what to do.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kendrickhphoto, Jan 22, 2011.

  1. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

    Jan 20, 2011
    So I'll start out by listing what I already have and then I'll ask my question. I currently have a mid 2009 17" 2.66 with 8GB of 1333 DDR3. I have the data doubler with 750GB 7200 drive in there and the standard 320GB drive as well. It also has 16 months of Apple Care left on it. I have a friend that wants to buy it for $1600 and he said he can wait if I want to wait till the new ones to come out. My only thing is that I think the 17" 2.8 i7 would be plenty for me with my 8GB of ram and the OWC SSD that I'm going to buy. My problem is that I want to be able to have that extra HD because the 240GB SSD isn't enough space for me and I don't want to lug around an external drive everywhere.

    With all the rumors going around about a redesign on the new MBP's and everything it makes me think that they might be going with solid state storage like on the air and I don't want that at all. I get the education discount so I want to be buying it new and I don't have an issue with how much it's going to cost. If I wait till the new ones come out and don't want it then I'm stuck because I won't be able to purchase the old one from apple new. With the ram and the SSD am I really going to see a huge improvement from SB or is it going to be smaller. I do some work in CS5, I run a couple of virtual machines and I do mostly coding. My main thing is startup time and launch time of programs which I know the current i7 w/SSD is fast at that already. The apple rep told me I could buy it and if it's within 30 days return it and get the new one but as we all know there's not a definite 30 day period in which to buy it. I guess my main question is should I wait and possibly be disappointed or do I buy now and possibly be disappointed later?
  2. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    I doubt you'll be disappointed. SSD prices are way too high so Apple can't go SSD only. They simply cannot ask +1000$ more if someone wants more than 256GB of internal storage.

Share This Page