Need Advice on whether or Not I should purchase a PBG4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dw3bb10, Nov 27, 2008.

1. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Ok. For starters, I currently dont have enough cash to buy a Macbook. I plan to purchase one around next auguest/september when I start college.

I really want to get a pbg4, specifically to familiarize myself with the Mac OS.
    Should I purchase a PBG4 (for around $250-$300) It will be the 1.5 or 1.67ghz model with 1 or 2gb of ram. What I want to know is, will it be able to keep up with the basic stuff i want to do? Web browsing? Music? Movies? Pictures? Youtube? Please be sensible. And dont say things as ohh, get a macbook. because obviously if i had the cash right now I would.

Thanks for your input

---David

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Whilst i would advise waiting and buying a better macbook, another option is getting an older desktop mac first - they tend to be cheaper with better specs.

Yeah, a powerbook like that should be fine, run everything you mentioned etc. It'll keep you going until you get a macbook, but they seem very expensive (as much as a current mac mini) where I live.

3. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

It would be able to keep up with basic tasks.

I do think you should consider waiting (if you can) and gathering up the money to get an Intel, but that's just my take on it.

I think overstock carries the powerbook.

However, there is a very weak rumor circulating that Apple may release a netbook in 2009. If they do, it will be your best bet by far.

If waiting isn't a problem, I would.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Overstock sells it for $1000+, you'd be much better off just buying the MacBook.