Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I am currently packing a 6 Plus, which still works great, but my only complaint is that the battery drains so quickly.

Overall battery life is 87%, but my battery drains fast each day, even when I'm not using it.

I'm considering upgrading to the XS Max, but from what I've read, the daily battery life on that phone isn't much better than the 6 Plus. Tom's Guide tests say that the 6 Plus offers 10 hours and the XS Max offers 10 hours 38 minutes (not much of a difference).

I was considering the 11 Pro Max but that's a little out of my budget. I can get the XS Max for $750 versus the 11 Pro Max for $1250, a considerable difference.

Is Tom's Guide accurate? If I upgrade to the XS Max, will I not get much more battery time than I get now?

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
As mentioned, getting the battery replaced could be a good thing to try, my 6s had a replacement battery from Apple about 6 months ago and it is still at 99% and working great, as it always has.

If not then there'll be the new SE/9/whatever the name is eventually.

Also thirdly, I expect the XS Max will have much better battery life.

Reactions: G-Ziss

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks. I have to go to an Apple Store to do that, right? Are Apple Stores open or have they been closed due to COVID19?

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Thanks. I'm in the US.

It should be $49 but they have to test the phone first, which is why I personally would wait until your nearest store is open.

When they did mine it only took about 40 minutes, but all depends how busy they get.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
If you are ok with your phone as is, just get a new battery. If you run your xs max in low power mode you should be able to lay on your couch and spend 12-14 hours on it with some juice to spare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.