Need advice on whether to upgrade to mac pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nu2mac1, May 11, 2008.

1. nu2mac1 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,
    I am seeking some advice from others who use their macs for photo editing work.
    I currently own a macbook pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB memory. I want to purchase an EIZO monitor for my photo editing work. Ideally I would like to run two monitors one for my toolbox and one for actual editing.
    It is my understanding that you can not run two external monitors from the macbook pro, and using the mbp display reduces the quality of EIZO performance. So my questions are:
    1. Does anyone know if I can run two external monitors without degrading performance or quality?
    2. Should I bite the bullet and purchase a mac pro? I have the money right now, but don't necessarily want to buy more than I need. Should I consider an iMac, and use it as the toolbox monitor with EIZO as an additional external monitor?
    I do not do gaming, and I currently do very little video editing work; although that may change in the future.
    If I do go with the Mac Pro can someone help with configuring suggestions?
    I am not technical, and so I could use some knowledgeable advice.
    Thanks very much!

2. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I think a MacPro would be overkill for what you need right now, and an IMac would be more than powerful enough to start messing around/learning video editing until you decide if it's something you're going to be doing enough of to justify an upgrade.

Can't answer whether (or how well) you can use an IMac with a second monitor as when I had an IMac you couldn't.

This article in this month's MacWorld may also give you some help - or things to think on:

http://www.macworld.com/article/133150/2008/05/macbuying.html?lsrc=top_2

3. StuBeck macrumors 6502

If you get an iMac get the 24in one, you don't want the crappy screen on the 20 inch. While a MacPro is overkill, an iMac isn't going to help with the glossy screen and poor black levels. I would get the Mac Pro if you really need two screens, or just buy the external and in a few years by a MP or maybe Apple will finally come out with a decent headless comp between the mini and pro.

4. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

While you cannot run TWO external monitors with a MBP, you can run ONE and still use the Internal monitor at the same time. Why not use the EIZO for your main screen and use the MBP screen for your "toolbox"?

I see no reason why performance should be degraded.... Each monitor can be configures independant of the other.

I'd try it and see what the results are..... Seeing as you are looking at a MacPro... with that same monitor I assume?

Try it on the MBP... it you like it.. no need to buy a new computer. If not, upgrade to the MacPro, which you would have done anyways...

I have a 4core MacPro with 5gig of Ram...and its a screamer.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree to try the EIZO (drool) with the MBP using the MBP's screen as the toolbox. If you do need to upgrade the iMac should also double as the toolbox screen and nothing more. Clearly you understand the importance of having a good screen and the iMac, in my opinion, is not a contender with that glossy screen. The iMac will suit your needs. If I didn't own a 30" display today and had room/desire to have another screen I would have went for an iMac over a MacPro because frankly, the iMac suits my needs.

Now I'm not sure what apps you run but I would venture to guess if you do use Aperture it'll run better on the iMac than the MacBook Pro. At least that's what I am gathering.

6. nu2mac1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for the replies! I was under the impression that if I used the MBP for my toolbox, and EIZO for editing images, that the quality of the EIZO's resolution would be compromised. Not being technical, I can't really explain in any more detail than what I was told. That being said, I am pretty committed to the EIZO CG241. I believe the MBP will support an external monitor with
    1920x1200 native resolution. Anyone who can verify that??
    Also, any one using an EIZO CG?? Thanks again for all who took the time to help! :)

7. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I did use my 2.16 MBP with a res of 1920x1200 on my external monitor.

8. DaveF macrumors 6502a

The MacBook Pro will drive a 30" Monitor at full resolution.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html
    Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors