Need advice on which Mac to get

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by I Like Apple Computers, Nov 13, 2016.

1. I Like Apple Computers macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade my Mid 2012 MacBook Air (128gb, 8gb RAM, 1.8gHz i5).

I am a student and will be using the computer primarily for note taking, microsoft office, web-surfing, watching movies, and maybe the occasional editing.

I am heavily looking into the new MacBook pro as I would love to buy new technology and want a new form factor (the 12" MacBook is just too small and too underpowered for my liking).

The biggest dilemma I am facing is trying to justify the purchase of the 13" with or without the touch bar. I like the functionality of the touch bar, but am not sure if the extra $300 price tag is worth it for my needs. The extra speed bump, and the extra two ports really doesn't concern me as i probably will not be using them.

In the end, I plan on selling the computer after 5 years. Do you guys think it is worth it to buy it with or without the touch bar with resale value in mind 5 years from now?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Brammy macrumors 65816

The base MBP also has a 15w CPU vs a 29?w CPU, so you're better off getting the touch bar one.

3. Deanster macrumors regular

The Touch Bar version should probably hold value a bit better over the long run, but it's a wide-open guess whether it's enough of a difference to spend the money now.

For your needs, there won't be much difference in terms of real performance, but IMHO the price/performance ratio of the touchbar version is better - you get a LOT more performance for a little more money. Plus a touchbar. :)

Have you actually tried the 12" MacBook?

I have the 2015 version, and for the tasks you're talking about, it's a killer little machine. Soooo light, soooo portable, great screen, and even the original version is more than fast enough for all the tasks you're talking about. The fast SSD means it feels very snappy in basic/office use, and the 2016 model is considerably faster yet.

Unless you want to do video editing, etc. it's just about a perfect student machine.

My only complaint is the relatively high price point, which also means the upgrade into the base 13" MBP isn't too painful.

In any case, I think the current 13"MBP (either version) would be a great machine, I just wanted to make sure you weren't discounting the 12" MB without taking a hard look at it. It's not going to be a killer 4K editor, but it's also NOT a 'slow laptop'.