Need advice on which Macbook to buy.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScottC2105, Jun 27, 2008.

1. ScottC2105 macrumors member

I hope the title is descriptive as asked, if not, mods feel free to change it.

Hey everyone,

I am in a debate with myself on which Macbook to get. It has to be a Macbook as I need portability and I was hoping I could get some advice from the Macrumor members.

I have used Windows for years, I have also used Ubuntu and Mac OS X before. I prefer Mac OS X over every other OS and so I really want to switch but I am not sure if I could do what I usually do in Windows in OS X.

I usually Surf and Email which I know I can do on a mac but I also use Photoshop for creating designs, watch movies on DVD and files encoded in XviD and listen to music. I also play World of Warcraft.

I have been looking at the Macbook as I like the design and size but I am not sure if it is powerful enough. So I think I want the Macbook Pro.

Any tips would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

the MacBook suits all of your needs except the WoW. I'm not a gamer, but from what I've heard the MB can handle it but just not completely seamlessly in high-density areas (forgive my terminology). But for the photoshop, transcoding/encoding... Etc, the mb is more than enough.

3. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

I would recommend the base macbook pro 15", which weighs 5 pounds. This will handle everything you need.

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Get the Pro, regular MacBook might have some shortcomings.

5. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

I would also recommend the base model MacBook Pro (15''). Unless of course you are like me and really want the extra screen real-estate then I would say you would be more then happy with the 17'' (1920x1200 of course)

6. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone.

I understand that Apple can take 4 to 5 weeks to ship macs and I have been looking for a reseller with stock of the 17" Macbook Pro in the UK but with no luck. Can anyone help me on that?

EDIT: I just found this. They have them In-Stock and are authorized Apple resellers. Has anyone bought from them before? They also have Next Day Delivery at £9.99!