need advice on which macbook to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by will eth, Feb 1, 2009.

1. will eth macrumors member

I am going to buy a mb but i dont know whether its worth paying the extra for the backlit keyboard. Im not bothered about the extra ghz because i already have an imac that i can do stuff that takes a fast system
    so is it worth the extra for the better keyboard

2. jaxonkohne macrumors member

3. chandsa Guest

I guess it depends on what kind of environment you will be doing most of your work in and also how good your typing skills are. If you foresee working in very low light conditions for a good part of your work schedule and if it doesn't burn your pocket too much then go for it. If your typing skills are good it really shouldn't make a big difference.

Cheers!

4. will eth thread starter macrumors member

i mean macbook.
    I dont want to spend the extra but i dotn know whether it will be an inconvenience to not have the light up keys. you see i have never had a laptop before only an imac
    cheers

5. jaxonkohne macrumors member

i just find the illuminated keyboard just looks pretty kick@$$ in the dark :p but thats about it... its rare that you are in a complete pitch black room writing up a very important reprt

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I wrestled with this question for 8 days after I bought the 2.0 Unibody and I ultimately ended up exchanging it for the 2.4. To me, the back-lit keys, bigger HDD, and 400mhz of CPU sped were worth the $300. I love the keyboard, but I definitely wouldn't have opted for the upgrade if that was the only difference between the two. If you truly don't care about the CPU or HDD gains, than I say stick with the 2.0.

7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Meh, for $300 is not worth it.

I would rather spend that 300 on accessories. Remember, you can always upgrade the hard drive at a later stage. The 400mhz would hardly be noticeable - again, it depends on what kind of tasks you run.

The ball is in your court.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

i didn't think it was worth it. the $1300 was a stretch for me

9. Doju macrumors 68000

The backlit keys alone would have been worth it for me. The 400MHz was icing on the cake, didn't care much for the HDD.

10. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Save $300 twice and go for the White Book. It's almost the same as the 2.0 UniBody anyway. Use the $600 on AppleCare, a big HD, RAM, a backup drive and still have some left over.

11. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

Funny thing happened buying a MacBook today...

Hey I bought the $999 Mac Book basic at the Apple Store on 5th. I like the price, the new update and the firewire. Anyway, I told the apple person that I wanted the new updated machine and we went to a computer to place the order. He typed in "Winter 2008" version. I said NO, I want the 2009 version. He said no problem then did the exact thing again, typing in "Winter 2008" version. What's up with that??? Anyway on the third try I got a new vrsion, so beware!!!

12. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

if the processor speed really doesn't matter then get the 2 GHz model why pay more for something you won't use?

13. hpcf28 macrumors newbie

It really depends on what matters to you. If the backlit keyboard doesn’t make a difference to you, then get the 2.0. But if you like the backlighting and think you’ll regret not having it, then get the 2.4.

I just recently struggled with this decision myself, and in the end I decided on the 2.4. I really liked the backlighting and since I was also getting an upgraded CPU and HDD, I decided it was worth getting, especially since I would like to keep this computer for a while before upgrading. Others, of course, feel it’s not worth the money so it really depends on how you feel. Now that I have it, I could certainly have lived without it and I probably won’t use it very often, but I’m totally happy with my purchase and I’m glad I went for what I really wanted.