Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

--g-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
I posted this in the Mac Pro forum but didn't get much response. I'd appreciate if you could weigh in. Thanks.

The hard drive in my mid 2010 iMac packed it in last July, I purchased an external SSD to boot on and have managed to limp along during my quiet season. Weddings are starting up again and I don't think I can wait for the new releases. I offer both photo and video services so use the full Adobe Suite. I mostly serve an ethnic community that favours multi day weddings and only do about 10 weddings a year so I'm not pumping out hours and hours of video.

I'm torn between a 6 or 8 core Mac Pro, both with 32g of ram, D700's, and a 1tb SSD. Add to the mix a fully spec'd out 5k iMac i7 4ghz with the same ram and storage and the 395x graphics card. All three machines will end up within about $500 of each other making the choice that much harder. I do realize I'd need a monitor with the Mac Pro and would likely pick up a single 4K monitor.

I'd like something that will serve me for 5 years at least and am looking for advice to help me make a sound decision. Which of the three choices would be the wisest?

Thanks in advance for your help.

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Have been a Mac Pro users for graphic design in the past but not real keen on the Trashcan models.

Went to an iMac and now using just about what you describe, with 32GB of memory and the 4GB gfx card. I am sure it will just what you want. About October new iMacs to be called iMac Pros will be released so if you can limp alomng a little lomnger, that may be the best option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.