Need Advice Purchasing 1st Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lakerchick4life, Nov 11, 2017.

1. lakerchick4life macrumors 6502

Hi everyone..so best buy will have some decent deals on the macbook pro 2017 this coming black friday was wondering if this laptop is a good purchase. This will be my first macbook so figured the pro model is the way to go. I know it only comes with two USB-C ports that is OK for me I can always get an adapter if I need one..but as far as speed and reliability is this a good mac to get? I dont need the touch bar, been reading the touch bar is kind of overrated anyway just want some reliable, fast, and can handle apps like Logic X, Final Cut Pro, etc
    Thanks

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Should be fine but check Ram and SSD size to make sure it suits your requirements and longer term objectives

3. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

4. mguzzi macrumors regular

It’s an excellent Mac Book and should handle most everything you throw at it except that if you start running VMWare you will want more memory. If you need more storage you can always get an external drive. Also check the Apple refurb store. They have 2017’s also the 2015 is great because it has all of the connections and plenty of battery life and power.

5. dangerfish macrumors 6502

I bought a new MBP with TB as soon as they were announced. I was coming from a MBA. I love this computer. I quickly got used to the new keyboard and the display is great.
    TB probably is over rated but I will say that I LOVE having Touch ID and the way it works with 1Password is fantastic. I think its almost worth it just for that.

6. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I dont run that kind of stuff so I should be OK..I have another question. I will be purchasing this from Best Buy..I called the store and this does NOT offer geek squad protection for it, ONLY applecare..for orders after October 29th they are offering extended return til Jan 18th 2018 which is good so I guess if something goes wrong with the laptop I will know by then..so here is my question, I had an iPad Pro that I got from Target, it was defective, it was after 30 days so I brought it to Apple store, they said they can "Give me another one" since it could not be fixed, but only a "Re certified" one, which I did not except, I ended up returning the iPad Pro to Target and getting my money back. With a macbook Pro, if after the Jan 18th extended return, lets say something goes wrong with it and it cannot be fixed, does apple ONLY offer re certified macs? Is that the case even if I got the extended applecare warranty? I dont like refurbs, never have, never will..I dont spend 1200+ dollars to get refurb, I guess its just me..so want to know what to do in case something goes wrong down the road

7. Retops macrumors regular

I just replaced my 2012 MacBook Pro with the 15 inch 2017 MBP 256GB from Best Buy. Their price is better than the education price so I leaped on it. Really like the machine, it is fast, great screen, and good key board.

8. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Kind of rare for Apple to swap out entire MBP's. Typically they send in for fixing. It happens, but not very often. You usually get your own laptop back with a new part.

Back to your question, I think if you're doing video editing, it always helps to have more onboard SSD for big files. The internal SSD is very fast, but so is the bandwidth on TB3 if you get a fast external SSD, just not as much as the internal. I don't know how serious you are about the video editing, but 4k files always want more RAM and processor as well. If it's just an occasional thing, 13" MBP handles most "normal" things easily on 8g/i5. As far as reliability, MBP's are always ranked at/near top but Apple service within warranty or AppleCare for a couple more years is outstanding. That being said, you will hear every single known issue to man with the MBP or AppleCare on this forum. Believe in numbers, they are our friends.

9. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much for responding to my message. I called Best buy and yeah they dont offer geek squad protection for macbooks, only applecare but since the extended warranty is good through Jan 18th 2018 at best buy I assume if something goes wrong it would happen pretty fast..now if later on something does go wrong and lets say for whatever reason they cant fix it(After trying) do they replace the mac with a new one or would it be recertified? Is Applecare extended warranty something I should get? Just dont want to go through what I did with the iPad Pro, never experienced that before, every iPad I bought was always perfect but Target, forget about it, got it from the store, both defective. I wont be doing any high end graphics on the mac, just want to be able to use final cut pro and play around with it, same with logic X and other apps..if it can handle those apps without crashing or being super slow I will get it I mean I assume it will work of course the more expensive macs can probably do it better but those are in the 2000 range dont have the money for that

10. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

I can see you particularly dislike refurbs, as do most when a new option is available, me too. If you look back to some silly posts by people who bought Apple refurbs, they swear they are better than new. Hyperbole and post purchase rationalization, but there is some validity to refurbs being pretty good from Apple. Reason being, they do test them thoroughly and need to because they give the same warranty for them. Of course new is better, regardless what some people say. But, refurb is not the end of the world. Better than "used" IMO. Who knows what they'll do in a year if your machine is irreparable. If I got back a working machine a year after purchase, I wouldn't really care. It's more annoying of course the more recent your purchase is. I've heard of people getting new machines due to lack of availability refurbs, but more rare than refurb. But in the end, a working machine after your MBP dies is a good thing.

Your normal apps will work fine on your machine. You won't get slow down in editing unless your files get big, and it certainly won't crash for typical files. You may experience the fan kicking in, which in most circumstances NEVER happens on typical productivity apps. I only hear my fan when I play Civ6, which is rarely.

I never say that people NEED to get AppleCare. I say it depends on your risk tolerance and ability to self insure. If you want that excellent service for a couple years longer, get it. If you care more about CYA if it breaks, depends on your financial situation. Chances are you will be fine without. But some people can't afford (or stomach) a potential repair cost or replacement cost. I have it on my MBP, but I don't always get AppleCare. As many have pointed out, if you buy it on a decent credit card, you will likely get your warranty extended by a year for free. I believe all Visa Signature or World MC's have that extended warranty, as well as any Amex because they have all kinds of perks. Credit card warranties are just a pain in the ass to file claims, but at least you're covered. Apple never tries to stiff you or cheap out on a warranty claim with AppleCare.

Edit: BTW, just noticed your username. You have a pair to have a name like that. I sadly admit that I'm a fan too, but it's been an embarrassing few years.

11. SteveJUAE, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Sorry for late reply (Time difference) as others have noted as long as your needs are modest 8GB should be fine and there are always external/cloud solutions for storage. Additionally student discount can be used.

On a major fault you are unlikely to get a certified refurb unless you complain about turn around time and it may be offered.

Apple historically have a good track record for the 1st 2 years it's the 3rd and onwards you should be more concerned with as with any device :)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2017 ---
    Am I reading this wrong ? as it seems a bit inappropriate or a honest mistake ie the 2nd "have" should of been "with" implying you are her pair :) even then still iffy choice of wordng

12. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I wont be using the mac for games, just for those apps I mentioned, and surfing the web, facetime, things like that..Ive always wanted a mac and could never afford it, now that I have some money saved up would like one..the desktop macs look nice but I honestly have no room for one. Since best buy offers extended returns til Jan 18th 2018 I assume if there were ANY issues with the laptop it would show up by then? The iPad Pro that I had messed up after 40 days, with this macbook I would have had it for almost 2 months so I think if something were to go wrong it would go wrong by then? I will be using my best buy credit card since they offer 18 months financing options. Im guaranteed 1 year with Apple no matter if I get applecare or not? Is there a difference if I get applecare and something goes wrong and I get a brand new one compared to not getting that extended warranty? I can always get it apparently it says I have 1 year after purchase to order the extended warranty so will see. So what are some things to lookout for when I get the mac, to see if its defective or anything since I wont be a heavy user?
    LOL yeah being here in LA, watching this team, it is what it is, gonna take a LONG time for them to succeed, probably another 10 years oh well Im patient :) I cant stand the Clippers so I enjoy watching them fail year after year LOL..always been a Laker fan, through good times and bad..Lonzo Ball, work in progress..kind of new not to put all your hopes in ONE kid its a team effort

13. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

No, you read it right, and it's stated exactly as I meant it. To be perfectly clear, I was referring to a pair of testes as a figure of speech and not any type of female "pair" which would be highly inappropriate, unlike the pair I was referring to (which was just a figure of speech for any person with guts). Iffy choice yes, but I believe it was punctuated correctly with the correct words used.
    Yes, likely issues show up early. Yes you get 1 year guaranteed no matter what. You will get AppleCare service for the first year pretty much. You're kind of rolling the dice with the computer not having issues, but an MBP is a pretty good choice to do that with. I'm not in your shoes so I can't say anything more helpful than that. Lakers embarrass me, but I believe in the Magic/Jeannie Buss era. I haven't decided if Lonzo is the real deal or just another DiAngelo.

14. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for the info. So if there are any issues within the first year Apple will assist me in trying to fix it..I think fixing a computer is easier than fixing an iPad..with a laptop the hard drive can be replaced, etc..with an iPad its not that easy..so in case for whatever reason Im just putting this out there because ya never know things can happen..if something DOES happen within the first year, and apple tries fixing it a few times and it cant be fixed, what happens..they give me a brand new one or do they give me a refurbished/re certified one?
    Lakers have been embarrassing me for a few years now..Mitch screwed up..when Kobe was playing and torn his Achilles, if Phil Jackson had been couching at the time, he would have NEVER played Kobe, he would never have gotten injured and who knows what would have happened..but whats done is done cant go back now. Like with all championship teams, they go through a crap phase and well, its been our crap phase for a while now.from the Kwame Brown years to the Chris Mihm years to now this..this team isn't HORRIBLE, but well, its not great, they wont make the playoffs..and putting all the eggs into the Lonzo Ball basket, is a mistake..he's just ONE player he can't bring this team to the promise land it will take a long time but HOPEFULLY Free agents will want to play for Magic since they never wanted to play for Jim Buss

15. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

No idea what they'll do for you, I can only go by what anecdotal history says. Likely fix or replace with refurb. New on very rare occasion. But you're probably thinking too much about this, unless you have an unhealthy medical issue that freaks you out whenever you get a refurb. If you're this stressed about it, maybe you shouldn't get one until you have a little more saved up for unforeseen circumstances. S**t always happens. Of the last 10 or 15 or so Apple products, 2 have been unsatisfactory to me - 2006 Macbook (old white one) and the ATV3. Everything else has worked more than fine even though I bought AppleCare here and there depending on my confidence in the product. No electronics product is worth this level of stress, cheaper solutions out there to do what you want.

Also a side note, I just bought Squaretrade insurance for my iPhone because it seemed like a good deal and the reviews are good. Shockingly, the X costs as much as the MBP you're interested in so it's comparable. You might look into it. I can't give a review because I just bought the insurance and have no claims, but reviews are good. I've only exclusively bought AppleCare in the past, no carrier insurance or other 3rd party. But I've never had a claim either but I've read about them.

I remember the bad years, but the majority of them were competitive at least. Mid 90's, mid aughts, they only had one or two consecutive years in the lottery, then they were contenders again. What the f is this 4 or 5 consecutive lottery years? Never seen this in my lifetime. That was all Jerry West though, still count early Mitch era as West carryover. The Warriors are going to regret thinking they can do this on their own. West is a basketball savant. I think they can rebuild with the draft and supplement with free agents. That never works. I can be patient since the clock started again under Magic/Jeannie. Jim Buss was a disaster. Another guy thinking he's smarter than he is (like Warriors without West). I never rooted for the Clips either, but they have West now. Look out. Here's to hoping for Lakers 2020!

16. adamh10 macrumors member

adamh10

To be honest AppleCare is much better than GeekSquad Protection Plans and they have better service anyway; I would not be worried about this at all.

17. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

Normally I wouldn't even worry about Apple products except what occurred with the iPad Pro, but those came from Target, I guess the ones they received were defective, honestly NEVER have gotten an extended warranty on an apple product before, never had any issues with any of them til I got the iPad Pro, than it started. they told me if I would have purchased the iPad from apple itself instead of target they would have given me a brand new one(Highly doubt that I dont see what difference it makes what store it came from target is an authorized dealer) but that is what they told me. Since I do have til Jan 18th 2018 with this macbook pro I think if anything were to go wrong it always happens within the first 30 days, will play around with it everyday so I will know for sure..anything specific I should look out for?
    NO ONE and I mean NO ONE wanted to play under Jim Buss..Jerry Buss absolutely but NOT Jim Buss he had a very bad reputation no one liked him..of course big name players would always come here to LA but notice they would come here, people would think "Oh they are gonna come play for the Lakers" but they would use that visit as leverage to get more money for whatever team they played for. Carmelo did it others did it too thats why whenever I hear about some player saying they will come to LA to meet with the Lakers I take it with a grain of salt

18. Miltz macrumors 6502a

From my experience, it's best to buy the best laptop you can afford. For example, I was going to go with a 1TB SSD in my MacBook, but my girlfriend said it was a bad idea since I have a lot of images, and 4K video. She said I should go with the 2TB and I can thank her later. I thought she was nuts, but I listened. 11 months later I have 1.3 TB of my 2TB drive full.

19. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Get ready to upgrade to a new MBP in 8 months. ;)

20. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

So you were more speaking to the store you bought it from. Sorry didn’t read very carefully. I agree with you that that is BS. But Apple is probably more likely to be flexible if you bought from them because they are making all the margin and not sharing with a retailer. But 18 mo zero interest is worth more than the off chance that that scenario will play out. Make sure you pay that off before the zero interest is over or you will get screwed, bad.

Yeah, LeBron rumors are dumb. I wouldn’t want them to come to the Lakers anyway. It never works out. Build from within like all of the championship cores of the past. No decent player would come to the Lakers anyway until they show a glimmer of hope.

21. Miltz macrumors 6502a

I'll be keep this one for Years to come... I thinking until 2020. By then 10bit displays will be standard I hope, and the performance increase will be worth a upgrade. Not to mention this was very expensive lol. I'm going to offload a lot of older material to an external drive soon.

22. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah what happened with the iPad Pro is that I got it at the local Target store(The one on Beverly Blvd if your familiar with SoCal Targets) got two of them, first one was defective, bad screen..2nd one after 40 days took 3 minutes to boot up, repeatedly flashing screen..so I first went to the Apple store, they looked at it, said it cant be fixed, and said they would give me a "New" one but would have to order it so I said "What do you mean it shows online you have plenty in stock" so that is when they told me "No you get a re certified one NOT new" because I did not buy it directly from apple..yeah I really dont believe that nonsense anyway but who knows maybe its true and they are more flexible if you buy it from them compared to Target(Where they offer discounts) Apple since NOTHING is ever on sale with them, you pay full price, you get a new one if its defective. I think if the mac is defective I will know it after messing around with it for a while and Best Buy thank goodness for their extra holiday return/exchange policy and of course price matching. Will get it on BF but who knows maybe it will be cheaper on Cyber Monday or even for Christmas. For me no point in waiting til next yr to see what Apple comes out with, a tiny bit faster, face ID, yeah I can imagine the price, and I dont need to pay more to put my face near the screen to turn it on LOL
    Honestly I dont even want LeBron here..yeah he's a good player but he's such a crybaby. Just build around many good players and we can win a title, wont be anytime soon but eventually it will happen

23. Hanson Eigilson macrumors member

I know ifixit checked some new apple replacement parts and they were actually repaired boards even if it say's 900$ on the bill

24. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

As is stated clearly in apples repair and AppleCare terms and conditions

“1.3 Parts and Labor. Apple may provide both parts and labor, but may direct that you replace certain readily installable parts yourself, as described below. In servicing your product, Apple may use parts or products that are new or refurbished and equivalent to new in performance and reliability. Apple will retain the replaced part or product that is exchanged during service as its property, and the replacement part or product will become your property. Replaced parts and products are generally repairable and are exchanged or repaired by Apple for value. If applicable law requires Apple to return a replaced item to you, you agree to pay Apple the retail cost of the replacement item and shipping.”

25. Hanson Eigilson macrumors member

Thank you, didn't know that was an official thing, does the same terms apply for repairs out of warranty ?