Need advice Quick!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KGWVU, Sep 5, 2010.

1. KGWVU macrumors regular

KGWVU

Looking at possibly purchasing a MBP on CL. It's listed as 6 months old, on the phone, the guy tells me he bought it October of 2009. He says it has a c2d 2.4 ghz processor.

Everything I have found has not shown a 2.4 ghz processor in the mid-2009 models. Rather, in the 2008 models. He will not give the serial number as he believes this will give me access to his personal stuff. But has offered to meet me and call the Apple Store with the serial number.

Thoughts?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Did he mention where he bought it from? It could be a refurb

3. KGWVU thread starter macrumors regular

KGWVU

He did not mention where he bought it. Just that he bought it in October, 2009. Am I right in that the 2009 model 15" did not have a 2.4 ghz processor?

4. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

^^^Most likely scenario. A 2008 refurb unit purchased in Oct 2009 (which really doesn't even come close to being 6 months old either).

I've bought and sold on CL a few times a year. FWIW, I bought my MBP on CL from a college student a few years ago.

Biggest thing is, as you probably know, is buyer beware, and meet in a very public place. I would never buy from anyone on CL if I didn't feel extremely comfortable not only with the listing itself, but also with the in-depth conversation I must have with them before considering their item.

These CL ads with 'text me' or 'email me' don't cut it for getting my attention. I must talk with the seller.

5. KGWVU thread starter macrumors regular

KGWVU

Thank you both for the quick help. The guy said he had another guy who offered him less and needed to know quick, that is the reason for the quick response needed here! :)

I was not comfortable with it and called to tell him no thanks. I got to 'we're going to hold off' and the phone clicked - he hung up. Guess my intuition was right! :)

Thanks again!

6. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

No problem. Your intuition is almost always right.

Both CL and eBay have become almost not worth dealing with. You have to be an informed seller and/or purchaser constantly on your toes, or else it isn't going to be a good deal for your $$$$. Too many people trying to pull a fast one.

I've only had my intuition be wrong once. And that was selling to someone who wasn't able to communicate well on the phone. They didn't make me uncomfortable with selling the item to them, but they just weren't able to talk well, if you know what I mean.

And then there's the guy who absolutely went off on the other end of the phone, because I wouldn't sell an item to them. OCD didn't even come close.

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Glad it all worked out. Be very, very careful with high-ticket items on CL.

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha congrads on not getting ripped =D i buy new computers from apple because i have someone to go back to if it needs things =D

9. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

I guess this why it's good to have computer repair skills (tooting my own horn here :rolleyes:)

All my computers since 2001 were used macs I bought off ebay or craigslist and upgraded on my own. For two years in college I made a decent amount of cash buying broken PowerBooks (dead mobo, cracked screen) and then buying the parts and repairing them myself. I had to check Craigslist daily for the best deals though.

I have to say it's nice to finally have AppleCare though ;)

10. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha repair skills are definitely a plus, and i also got the tech award when i graduated high school haha was my only award so ia m proud, but when i drop 2 g on a computer and something happens i can walk into an apple store and get it fixed on there dime =D

11. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

If you can get them to fix it :rolleyes: Just kidding.. I agree.

12. kmalott macrumors newbie

Craigs list

I once got a massage with a happy ending that I found on Craigs List. Buying a MBP might be risky.

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

14. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

That's right, you can have access to his penis size by having the serial number off his computer. :rolleyes: