Need advice re MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by camperdown9, Oct 25, 2013.

1. camperdown9 macrumors regular

London, England & Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France
    Hi

My 2007 MacBook is ready for replacement and I have been thinking about getting a MacBook Pro Retina. My question is I really don't know what I need to be looking at with regards to spec?

I use my current MacBook for the internet and for numbers/excel and pages/word , email and thats pretty much it.

I don't store really anything on it. I use iCloud for pages and number documents. Photos and music are on my iMac.

I know that I want the 13" MacBook Pro Retina but am I going to be ok going for the standard version?

Should I pay to upgrade the processor?

Do I need more memory? (I am guessing not)

Thanks

Alex

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From your usage I'll say two things.

The base model with an upgrade to 8gb is probably the best. Can you lice within the 128GB SSD of the base rMBP?

Have you considered the MBA as well, while it doesn't have the retina screen, it may be worth considering.

3. camperdown9 thread starter macrumors regular

London, England & Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France
    Hi

Sorry I really don't understand most of this. I have just gone to "about this mac" on my current MacBook and also on my work MacBook Air.

On my MacBook it says

2GHZ Intel core 2 duo
    2GB 1067 MHz

on my work issued MacBook air

1.4 GHZ
    4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I have always thought that my own MacBook was faster than the company issued air. But I have no idea how much ssd I have or use, (until a few mins ago I had no idea what ssd was!) Is there a way I can check how much SSD I current have and how much of it I am using?

Thanks again.

Alex