Need Advice re upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by elberto1, Jul 28, 2012.

1. elberto1 macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 MBP (2.2 Ghz; 4gb; 500gb @ 7200rpm) running Lion. This is a computer that I have meticulously maintained all of the settings I want (unique autocorrects in microsoft word; background OS things, etc.) and have maintained it with MacKeeper; Onyx; Appzapper; MacScan etc. So my point is that it runs smoothly and I have all of the settings that I want.

I recently bought a MBP Retina 2012 (before ML came out, so it is currently running Lion). Given the above, I think want to transfer all of my settings over to the new computer.

I have two kinda complicated questions:
    1) Should I upgrade the 2007MBP to ML first and then transfer over? (If I transfer over this way, will ML recognize that now it can use all of its features [powernap etc.]?) OR should I transfer Lion over and then upgrade on the new MBPR2012?

2) How should I "transfer" over? Should I make a time machine back up and "restore" from time machine? Or should I use "migration assistant"? Will restore from Backup cause problems since it's a 2007 to 2012 leap?

Thanks!!!

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

You should upgrade your Retina to Mountain Lion and just run Migration Assistant after installing. You could even do a wipe on the retina and perform a clean install on the retina if you would like.

Then just run migration assistant and it will do the rest for you.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Time machine restore for sure. I went from a 2006 MBP Running Lion to a 2012 MBP and it was absolutely perfect. Just make sure to do it via ethernet, it's much faster. Then upgrade to ML.

4. elberto1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Will migration assistant capture all of my programs and settings for those programs? Even if it's from an older operating system? (No longer having an optical disk drive means that this is vitally important...)

----------

So, to clarify: I should plug in my drive to the MBPR, and do a "restore from backup" of the 2007MBP?

Thanks!

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Migration Assistant will "Transfer user accounts, applications and computer settings to your Mac from a Mac, PC, or disk."

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

----------

[/COLOR]

So, to clarify: I should plug in my drive to the MBPR, and do a "restore from backup" of the 2007MBP?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

That's what worked for me, albeit from a Time Capsule, not an external, but it should work the same way.