Need advice regarding 23in Cinema HD Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoePop, Jul 3, 2012.

1. JoePop macrumors newbie

Full disclosure - I'm a relatively new Mac user. I own a used 2011 MacBook Pro. I recently inherited a 23in Cinema HD Display (box has a 2003 date on it) that has the DVI to ADC adapter. The display port that came with it doesn't work with my laptop so through Apple's advice I ordered the mini display port to DVI adapter. I plugged it all in and turned on my laptop and the desktop screen on the HD Display is not my laptop nor can I access my various applications. Since I'm new to Mac I'm wondering if there are a few more things I need to do through my laptop to get this up and running. Looking for help/advice/tutoring.

Thanks,
    JoePop

2. garstudios macrumors member

so are you saying theres some other desktop showing up, or nothing showing up?

if nothing is showing up like the toolbar at the top or dock at the bottom, but the screen has a background, then you are probably operating in the extended desktop mode. where basically you can drag windows over to the cinema display. however, your post is kind of vague and confusing, so answer some questions first.

Do you have the laptop open?

Is the Cinema display mirroring the laptop display?

Is the cinema display an extension of the laptop display, can you drag for example a safari window to the cinema display by dragging it in any direction off of the laptop display?

Is the laptop closed (aka clamshell mode) where the the desktop is on the cinema display?

do you see a dock or toolbar or anything on the cinema display?

3. JoePop thread starter macrumors newbie

Need advice regarding 23in Cinema HD Display

My apologies on being vague. See below answers to your questions.

"...answer some questions first."

Do you have the laptop open?

Yes

Is the Cinema display mirroring the laptop display?

No

Is the cinema display an extension of the laptop display, can you drag for example a safari window to the cinema display by dragging it in any direction off of the laptop display?

No

Is the laptop closed (aka clamshell mode) where the the desktop is on the cinema display?

No

do you see a dock or toolbar or anything on the cinema display?

No

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Do you see an image on the cinema display? If you go into the display section of System Preferences you should be able to see the external display and how it's configured.

If you're in extended desktop mode, you should be able to drag windows from your laptop display to the external display. The display preferences screen will let you pick which virtual side you want the external display to be on.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is the USB cable from the adapter plugged into the Macbook Pro? Is the power light on the screen lite up? What happens if you touch the power button as if to turn on the screen?

6. garstudios macrumors member

not to make you sound dumb or anything, but is it actually turned on, have you toggled the on/off switch?

i have had 2 - 23" cinema displays since they came out.....i still, to this day, have to toggle the on/off switch to get it on. not because it is broken, but because i always think its on, but its off. im serious, it trips me up like every other day.

other then that, it should automatically recognize it, and just work. the only thing you should have to change, is the "display" options in "system preferences" where you can choose to mirror your laptop screen, or extend it. if you extend it, you need to choose where you want the external display to be in relation to your laptop screen. so you know which side of the laptop screen you know to drag stuff off of to get it to the external.

when i plug one of my cinema displays into my macbook pro, the screen on the macbook pro will go off, then turn blue, then everything comes back up. this happens every time i plug it up, and it happens with all macbook pros (at least all the ones i have used). that basically tells me that my macbook pro is recognizing the external cinema display.

sorry if it seems like we are repeating ourselves, or make things seem as if they are obvious. its just that it usually takes care of its self. the only other thing i can think of is it may be broken, or maybe your display port is broken?

i did forget to mention that on one of my macbook pros, i had to wiggle the mini display port connection to get it to work sometimes, but it always worked, it just had wiggly lines and messed up colors until i wiggled the cord.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One last question, is the ADC to DVI adapter an Apple one?

Just one thing to note, the OP is discussing the clear acrylic Cinema HD Display. Not the aluminum ones.

8. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

So, the screen is pitch black as in "not turned on"?

Make sure it is turned on in the first place.

Go to System preferences -> Displays, tick "Show Displays in the menu bar" - you should see the additional icon in the menu bar, click on it, report what you see in the drop down. Should read "Color LCD" and a couple of resolutions to choose from and then "Cinema Display HD" and it's list of resolutions. If they do not show up, disconnect the big screen while the Macbook is running, wait 5 seconds, connect it again, wait 5 seconds, click "Detect Displays" in Displays preference pane, repeat procedure with the icon from the menu bar. Report back.

9. garstudios macrumors member

oh, sorry, i have only dealt with the aluminum ones.