Need advice regarding purchase of iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KyleGP, May 3, 2011.

1. KyleGP macrumors member

(Places mentioned are in Australia)

Hi all,
    Basically I'm in a little situation and I'd like to know what you guys think is the best course of action.

So this deal was done off ebay, but I talked to the member on ebay. It just wasn't bought with Paypal and isn't going through an item listing. It sounds completely unsafe and dodgey but it hasn't proved to be all bad news.

It started off he offered to do it $650 for 32gb iPhone 4 sealed & unused. I said okay, can I do that Paypal? He said no because the fees would be too high, like $40 on an item that expensive?

Then I said, okay, can you make an item listing for it at least so we can feedback each other also? He declined that too and said the fees for the listing would be a lot.

He said bank deposit only for that price. I declined and said sorry this isn't a safe enough method. He offers COD (Cash on delivery). I accepted that but what I didn't realize is you can't even check what's being posted to you first, you have to pay first.

Either that's the case everywhere or the guy at my post office is a twat.

So I'm standing there when it arrives and I said do you mind if I check it's what I ordered? He said I can't, I have to pay first. So on the spot, I did.

I open it up, it's a brand new condition but slightly used iPhone 4 16gb. Not sealed, not entirely new and the wrong capacity.

But, its a genuine iPhone 4 16gb and it works perfectly.

Now I STILL have it.

I contacted him and he said he is sorry for the mistake and one of his friends or ebay helpers (or something, I don't really know) packed it and got it wrong. He said send it back and he will send me the 32g.

I told him, nothing personal but I want some form of protection too. If I send it and don't hear from you again, I have no way of getting back my $650. I asked that he send the 32g first.

Obviously, he declined and said I had to return the other one first. He said why would I doubt him, he already sent this one. I do agree there.

So I have a few options now. I can send it back express, and hope it all goes fine. If I do that I'll get it back sooner as he said he'd post it express back. If he takes my money and runs, that's pretty much the end BUT I do have his and his companions full name if I can take legal action with a private sale?

The other option is I have a friend in SA, where he is. She's agreed to help me if I go ahead with this idea. The plan would be to post the 16g to her, and she would meet with him on the 11th May to do an exchange in person. She'd then send the new 32g back to me. And I've known her my entire life so that plan is sound, bar one thing.

If for some reason they can't get in contact on the 11th, it will waste a lot of time.
    I don't want to waste any more time because I'm over doing things like this when I need to be doing other things.

Keeping in mind, he has my $650 right now because to receive this 16g I have to pay the cash on delivery.

Your thoughts on the situation?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

whole things sounds fishy to me. no paypal no way you can dispute it. I think going through your friend is the best and only route and hope for the best. have them meet at a public place (Starbucks) even a police station I will bet he doesn't like that idea. all you can do is hope for the best worst case this route you have a over priced used 16gb I4. which is better then nothing. good luck.

3. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

yeah man you made a mistake and way overpaid for that phone. Only safe thing is to have your friend help. Hopefully she doesn't get attacked.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

It is a bad situation. When he didnt want to do paypal or ebay etc you should have immediately moved on. On another forum we call that deal too good to be true...because it aint.

Also from where i am sitting that price isnt good either but i guess it isnt converted to us currency? Prices are way down now that the white phone is here.

5. 87am macrumors regular

6. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i would say keep the 16GB iphone 4, this way you cant get screwed any more than you already have. if you send it back and he doesnt send you a 32GB then you are stuck with absolutely no iphone AND you'll be out $650

7. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies people.

I have to disagree with the price. Here in Australia the 32gb iPhone retails for $999AU. You can check the Apple Australia site for that.

So $650AU is a good price, here.

Secondly, I'm still not sure. Why would he accept to meet my friend as an option? If he truly wanted to scam me he would have brushed the idea off straight away and said no, just send it back. But he didn't?

Also my friend would be going with her boyfriend and he doesn't know it's a girl so those factors make his reply irrelevant.

I do also know his identity. If it went bad, I could likely charge him with fraud or take some other legal matter surely.

The problem with my friend is both her and this sellers communication suck. If they failed to meet on the day, then it would waste a lot of time.

8. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

But my gut feeling says you are all correct and this is a con.
    I'm gonna request my friend to meet him in the city.

If he doesn't have a 32GB iphone sealed, he won't be getting his bargaining chip back.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, this does sound fishy. Tell your friend that she should bring someone with her when she meets this guy. Also, tell her to check the item before she hands over the other phone. Good luck and keep us informed.

10. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

Yep.

She'll be going with her boyfriend and she's gonna make sure it's legit before he gets the 16g back.

If this is his mistake honestly, he's caused a lot of trouble and worry for nothing.

We will see what happens, I'm waiting his reply.

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

As George W. Bush once said.

12. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Definitely do not send it back to the guy. If you're going to do anything, send it to your friend and have her make the exchange and check the phone and make sure it's working as it should. (Hopefully she knows a thing or two about iPhone's)

13. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

I agree.
    I was going to send it to him today then it hit my gut and I thought logically.
    So I went back and said change of plans, I want to do the exchange with my friend.
    What's funny is since I told him that I'd like to do the exchange with my friend in person again, he hasn't responded. If he doesn't respond from this point on, I think I made the best decision of the century, because it was obviously a scam.

14. Psood21 macrumors member

I am selling an acre on moon, will you be interested???? :rolleyes:

15. Old Tony macrumors newbie

Old Tony

I don't believe that it was a mistake that u got the 16GB version, either. Keep that, he won't send you the right one.

I find it really sad that some people rely on such unfair methods to 'earn' the money from honest folks.

Don't send him the iPhone back, send him some brawlers ;)

16. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all so much for your help in this.

So I won't be giving it back with risk but should I just get a refund?
    If I C.O.D it back to him, he will have to pay the $650 back to me before he gets his 16gb back. Even if he was legitimate, who cares, I'll have my $650 back and nothing lost and a new iPhone from a reliable source to gain.

It's only $100 or so more for a sealed 32gb (remembering this is AU pricing), so it's still cheaper than directly through Apple.

The reason I went with this guy is well, I went a little Apple crazy. I wanted an iPhone so badly I wasn't thinking.

If I get my money back, one thing I've learned is, if it's through ebay to always use Paypal and have a listing. That way I am protected no matter what.

So, hands up who thinks a refund (if it will happen) is the best course of action?

17. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Are either of these options possible?

1. He sends the iPhone 4 32GB to you, and you have to give the post office employee the iPhone 4 16GB in exchange for the one he sent you?

2. He refunds the 100au or so difference between the iPhone 32gb and the one he sent you?