Need advice repair/replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skyholder01, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Skyholder01 macrumors member

MacBook Pro circa 06/07.
    The graphics chip broke down the other day.
    I've been told that the options are the $300 flat rate fix by Apple, or replacing the entire logic board.

Oh learned friends.... is it worth the repair, or start saving for a new one?
    Or is there a 3rd option?
    Skyholder

2. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

In all honesty, I think it's time to retire it and get a new one. It's barely worth $300 so it seems crazy to spend $300 to get it working again.

3. Skyholder01 thread starter macrumors member

I'd hate to move back to the PC world. But $300 repair, vs $1,300 replacment, vs $500 new PC.

I hate the choices, but thank you.

4. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I know what you mean, I am currently toying with a cheap 'tide me over' 11.6" Windows machine :eek:

5. Skyholder01 thread starter macrumors member

If I could fine a "newer" model, for a decent price, I'd even opt for that!!! I still haven't reconcilled myself to why they have to cost SOOOOO much.
    Oh well....

6. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

There could easily be other repairs down the line.

It will probably be cheaper to sell as requiring fixing on Ebay or so and then buy a newer one preferably within Apple's warranty period.

There are many people making a living buying broken macs and repairing and then selling.

7. Skyholder01 thread starter macrumors member

Broke down and forked out the $$$$ for a new one. Once I replace the logic board, down the road, I'll try to recoup my losses. ;)

8. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Tricky, need to weigh up cost of repair v difference in value once repaired.

9. wlmayer macrumors newbie

do you have an NVIDIA graphics processor?

Macbook Pros circa 07-08 were installed with a faulty graphics processor...I'd make sure yours isn't one of them before paying for the fix. Apple should replace it free...they did with mine last October.