Need Advice! Should I purchase damaged Macbook?

doublejabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Alright so I'll be heading off to college in the fall and have yet to purchase a computer. I want a Macbook but purchasing one new is completely out of the question. So after doing some searching I found some Macbooks between the prices of $150 and $300. The only problem is that they don't work. They "Don't power on" but include what is needed to use them. Should I purchase one and have it repaired by apple? How much would this end up costing me? Please help :)

doublejabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
I don't plan on fixing the computer myself, as I have absolutely no idea where to even begin. I want to know is it possible I could send it to Apple and have them fix it for a fee. If so how much would it end up costing me?

Comment

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Alright so I'll be heading off to college in the fall and have yet to purchase a computer. I want a Macbook but purchasing one new is completely out of the question. So after doing some searching I found some Macbooks between the prices of $150 and $300. The only problem is that they don't work. They "Don't power on" but include what is needed to use them. Should I purchase one and have it repaired by apple? How much would this end up costing me? Please help :)
could cost you as much as a new Mac ... not worth it

Comment

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Just get a refurb or an older MacBook if you don't need a really powerful machine. Getting an old one repaired is a crapshoot and they could end up having other problems. Probably will cost you more than a new or refurb Mac.

Comment

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
Yeah, for sure don't get a broken computer with unknown problems. Listen to the various other suggestions, like forking out to buy a new one or getting a refurb/older one, which should be less expensive.

Other than being ridiculously lucky, getting a broken computer could very easily cost you more to fix than getting a decent working one.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.