Need Advice! Should I purchase damaged Macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doublejabs, Jul 19, 2011.

1. doublejabs macrumors newbie

Alright so I'll be heading off to college in the fall and have yet to purchase a computer. I want a Macbook but purchasing one new is completely out of the question. So after doing some searching I found some Macbooks between the prices of $150 and $300. The only problem is that they don't work. They "Don't power on" but include what is needed to use them. Should I purchase one and have it repaired by apple? How much would this end up costing me? Please help :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. If you knew how to fix computers you wouldn't be asking the question. You are just going to be wasting your money and time.

3. doublejabs thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't plan on fixing the computer myself, as I have absolutely no idea where to even begin. I want to know is it possible I could send it to Apple and have them fix it for a fee. If so how much would it end up costing me?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, this is possible.

No idea. Since nobody knows what's actually wrong with it, nobody will be able to tell you this.

Just buy a new machine.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

could cost you as much as a new Mac ... not worth it

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Just get a refurb or an older MacBook if you don't need a really powerful machine. Getting an old one repaired is a crapshoot and they could end up having other problems. Probably will cost you more than a new or refurb Mac.

7. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Yeah, for sure don't get a broken computer with unknown problems. Listen to the various other suggestions, like forking out to buy a new one or getting a refurb/older one, which should be less expensive.

Other than being ridiculously lucky, getting a broken computer could very easily cost you more to fix than getting a decent working one.