Need Advice - Should I Try To Exchange base 21.5 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jb609jb, Jul 28, 2010.

  1. jb609jb macrumors newbie

    Jun 4, 2010
    Hi all,

    I purchased a new 21.5 inch base model iMac in mid June and I am trying to figure out if I should try for an exchange for the refreshed 21.5 base model? I waited 5 months for a refresh but my PC died before the update came. This is my first Mac and i was saving up for a year for this thing and its tough for me to swallow the latest refresh. I would have waited longer if my old PC had not died, but I needed something for work. Any suggestions on what I should do?

  2. tersono macrumors 68000


    Jan 18, 2005
    Whatever you buy, there's always something new around the corner. My advice is to quit worrying, sit back and enjoy the machine. You bought it when you needed it, so it was the right thing to do. It's a good piece of kit and should serve you well for a long time.

    For what it's worth, my own primary Mac (which was a lot more expensive than yours) has been outdated twice already - the first time just weeks after I bought it. I've only had it a year. *shrug*
  3. jb609jb thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 4, 2010
    I agree that new tech is always around the corner and things are outdated the minute you get them, but I also want this computer to last me 4-5 years. I am concerned that the lack of a discrete graphics card and the inferior CPU in my current base 21.5 won't hack it beyond three. Maybe I am totally offbase, but I would appreciate some opinions on the matter.
  4. dexthageek macrumors 6502

    Dec 7, 2007
    The integrated GPU in the base 21.5 will be a limiting factor on the longevity of that machine. What GPU is it? 9400? If so I would look into the possibility of maybe selling it and then picking up a new one. Even the the new base model will out perform it.

Share This Page