iPad Need advice... so torn!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aerialdreams, Oct 23, 2013.

1. aerialdreams macrumors newbie

Yes I know, another one of these iPad Air vs iPad mini w/ retinal display threads... please bear with me here.

I'm just super torn about this! I've actually never owned an ipad before so I was completely ready to jump into this and get the ipad 5. However, now that ipad air and mini w/ retina basically have the same specs, I CAN'T DECIDE! I will be bringing the ipad with me to work (in a hospital) so the portability of the mini is super nice (I'm constantly on my feet and walking around all day, and it fits perfectly in my white coat pocket). However, I'll be doing lots of work on the ipad, which means lots of typing and stuff, which would make the air much better for me (I was going to get a keyboard cover so I can type/update patient notes easily from anywhere). And then, throw in the fact that next year's model will probably have Touch ID, now I'm even considering waiting one more year (although that will be hard). WHAT TO DO???? Any advice?

2. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Sounds like you need the mini. The Air is not portable at all.

3. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Yes mini for sure,as you said they have near same specs just a difference in size.I am typing on the Original mini and I must say its is a great device and I have no problems typing on it plus the portability is awesome.

4. JGWolven macrumors regular

It's hard for anyone to say what you would be the most happy with. Only you will know. But what I can suggest is that we don't need to blow the portability situation out of context. You'll be carrying a device around the size of a notebook, something that fits in all kinds of bags. If you're doing a lot of work on it, you will definitely appreciate the extra screen real estate the Air brings.

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Why not visit an Apple store November 1 and try them both out?

One of them will call out your name. :)

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Try to borrow one for a shift to get a feel of it.

As to waiting for next year... then the next year, etc.

NOPE

You either want/need it or not.

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I say try the new Mini first since it is cheaper. If you aren't smitten, then return it and buy the Air.

I'm pretty sure there is a keyboard cover for the current Mini. May take awhile for accesories for the new Ipads though since they were just announced.

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

I'd disagree with this. How can a small device that weighs a pound be 'not portable'?! Ok, it doesn't fit in a pocket, but it's hardly not portable. I bring mine everywhere.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

This guy disagrees.

[​IMG]

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Unfortunately, I doubt the mini will be on display on Nov 1, because it isn't being released until "later in November." I do agree that OP should try both out, but he's not going to be able to do it on the 1st.

The new mini is almost the same shape as the original one, just a bit thicker. Most accessories made for the original mini should work with the new one.

ROFL!

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I hope the accessories for the current Mini will fit the new one. I rather not spend more just to get the appropriate ones for the new one.

But if I buy the Air, I already have the Logitech keyboard for the iPad 4. I don't know if it will fit but time will tell but I kept it.

Incidentally, I liked the iPad 4 more at first than the Mini so I figured it was a keeper so I bought the keyboard. Later on I preferred the Mini cellular version. :eek:

12. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Mini sounds good for OP for the portability. Voice input is very accurate now, so actually typing should be reduced dramatically.

13. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I use my iPad mini in the hospital, too. I also have a full-sized iPad with a keyboard cover, but that stays at home. The recommendation really depends on what you're doing and how your hospital is set up.

For example, I use my iPad mini to reference information and hand-write notes for my own reference. My full-sized iPad can't fit into my white coat pocket, and even for the "iPad-capable" white coats it's a very tight fit (although the iPad Air should fare better with those coats).

While I believe there is a native iOS app for our system, my hospital does not grant us access to it. On the other hand, we have a good supply of computers at nurses' stations and mounted to walls along hallways. It's easy for me to access a computer for typing. The Bluetooth keyboard isn't bad (it beats the virtual on-screen keyboard for sure), but the full-sized keyboards at our computer terminals are probably a better choice for typing lengthier documents quickly. For my system, then, I probably wouldn't use the full-sized iPad with keyboard even if I could easily bring it with me.

There are a few other considerations. The keyboard covers are nice, but I use an Otterbox Defender case on my iPad Mini (the screen protector is built-in). The major benefit of this is that I can sanitize it with the heavy-duty bleach wipes after, say, visiting a patient with C. diff, and not worry about damaging any of the coating or coloration of the iPad. I'd hate to use those wipes on a bare iPad, and even more so on a keyboard.

If you really like the idea of having a keyboard, you could always buy a separate Bluetooth keyboard that doesn't function as a case. That would work with either iPad model. There are some pretty slim keyboards available, and they're not that expensive, either.

As for TouchID, it's disappointing that it wasn't included this time around. I'll be upgrading my iPad Mini to the retina version to make it easier to read my chicken-scratch notes, but if TouchID truly works as well as everyone says it does then I might end up selling that and upgrade yet again whenever TouchID is implemented.

No matter what you choose, I'm sure you'll find that having a tablet with you in the hospital is incredibly convenient and makes many tasks a lot easier.

14. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Fairly sure that you can use the current Mini accessories so as long as they aren't designed a super tight fit. The current Mini Smart Covers will definitely still work with the Mini 2. Everything else should work so as long as they're bluetooth.

But yeah for tight-fitting cases and whatnot I can't say for sure, the Smart Cover should work given that the front bezels and everything are the same ratios.

15. roccobladr macrumors 6502

I would say it probably depends what you need it for in the hospital. If it were (I'm a dietitian) Id probably go for the mini as it would fit nicely in lab coat and be great for referring back to patient notes/labs/etc without being too intrusive while visiting patients and rounds. If you can access EMR with the iPad and use it for typing notes then you may be better off with the bigger screen.

16. meistervu macrumors 65816

Here is what I would do

I went through similar experience deciding between a 11" and 13" Macbook Air.

In the end, if I can't make up my mind I would buy both and return one. In general I try to avoid doing that but this is one of the time where nothing will replace the real experience.

Personally, I am leaning toward the Mini. A review from Anandtech for the original Mini convinced me. It said that except for screen resolution, there is nothing that the large iPad did that the Mini couldn't do comfortably. I often agree with their reviews. I will be using mine as a reader, and the Mini size makes a lot more sense.

The Air size and weight reduction does make it more convincing this time around though. Anyway, I will play with both at the store before deciding.