Need Advice to Replace Optical Drive in Mirror Door G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by visvaldis, Dec 12, 2011.

1. visvaldis macrumors member

My G4 has OS X Leopard 10.5.
    Since a few weeks my DVD reader does not respond. I put in a DVD, no icon pops up on the screen, and seconds later the door opens. The CD reads and writes without any problem.
    I plan to replace the optical drive myself. Saw a Youtube video and it looks fairly easy, even though I've never worked on a Mac before.
    I've checked out an optical drive from Other World Computing. They offer a Lite-On Super-Multi Drive for $33. It can also burn DVDs. That's nice, but I don't really care to burn DVDs, only CDs. However, I watch movies on DVD.
    I might also have to re-install the OS due to problems with shut-down and sleep.
    Somewhere I heard that Panasonic makes an excellent optical drive.
    Any advice about optical drives and where to get them?

2. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Anything PATA will work. MDD had a Pioneer DVR 106 or 108 in them stock.

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I prefer Pioneer or LG drives myself but basically any IDE/PATA drive will work. OWC is not the place to buy something this generic from unless you live out of town and need it shipped. Just go to any local PC shop and buy one.

4. visvaldis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip. I live in Louisville, Kentucky. Not many places close by for PCs and equipment. Besides, I want to avoid the shopping crowds at this time. I ordered online.
    I can't wait to install the drive, then re-install the OX. Today I can't open Safari in the dock, but have to go into the menu and click on Show All Bookmarks.