Need advice transcoding using Handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Avi, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Avi macrumors member

Hello

I have a .mp4 file (H.264), which has problems playing in Quicktime as it gives me the dreaded "Invalid Public Atom Found" error. I had no luck trying to edit the metadata etc ...

So I finally resorted to transcoding the video to a .MP4 format again :D using some free software that I found online ... everything works fine but the video looks kinda Jittery. I just found out about Handbrake software, can anybody tell me what settings I need to use to transcode this video file to an another .mp4 format without loosing any quality in video or sound.

The file I have is:

VIDEO
    Format: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
    Bitrate: 1658 kbs
    Encoding: 2 Pass
    Resolution: 1280 x 528
    Frame Rate: 23.976 fps

AUDIO
    Type: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC
    Bitrate: 298 kbs
    Sample Rate: 48000Hz
    Channels: 6 channels: Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Don't waste your time with Quicktime. (heh, that sounds weird.)

Just download the program VLC. It'll play any and every video/audio codec under the moon, and it's free.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The video is jittery because you've transcoded. Every time video is encoded, it loses quality.

4. Avi thread starter macrumors member

well I have been using VLC for many years now :D ... I am a recent Mac convert and I have been using Frontrow a lot so that the movies can run smoothly on AppleTV ... so the file plays perfectly fine in VLC ... but I need it to work in Quicktime so that I can play it on AppleTV