Need advice trying to run game on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djmitchcraven1, Feb 29, 2012.

1. djmitchcraven1 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, Iv been searching around trying to figure this out on my own but Im too computer-tarded to really understand it all lol so Im just gonna ask straight out. I just bought a new Macbook Pro 17inch with all the standard 17inch tech specs, basically if you were to go on apple.com and compare all MacBooks Pro mine is all the stuff listed on the 17inch. Before this Iv always had a Windows XP desktop, and back when Half Life 2 came out packaged with Counter Strike Source I bought it. They never ran good on my XP so I just boxed them away but then I read online that you can play the CSS on a Macbook Pro. First question is can you really play CSS on a MacBook Pro?. Secondly, I was reading some post and people were talking about something called bootcamp? and people talking about running CSS on bootcamp but when I was playing on XP it was all done with Steam. SO my 2nd question is what is the deal with this Bootcamp thing? Im sitting here waiting to install Steam and CSS but want to see what people have to say first. I read that CSS was ported for MAC and on the Steam store you can download it for MAC but Im assuming that back when CSS came out that it was made to be playable on a Mac as well. Anyones advice and answers is truly appreciated! thanks in advance

2. Chris230291 macrumors member

I myself have played a version of counter strike on my MacBook Pro with no problems, though i thought the game sucked haha. I was actually surprised with how well the MacBook Pro can play games, i thought it would be lagging like an absolute bitch ****er.

Id imagine that your new 17" MBP has a better graphics card than my 2 year old 15" one has.

As for BootCamp, all it does is allow you to install windows along Mac OS X on your mac. When you power up your machine you can choose which operating system to boot into. A lot of people use it to play windows games on their mac hardware.

Boot Camp can be found in the applications folder, under utilities.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

bootcamp ist just the kind of environment that is needed to run Windows on a Mac. It is a bit of a fuzzy word but it includes some low level bios kind of things, Windows drivers and an hdd partitioning assistant for dummies.
    If some one says running CSS on bootcamp he means Windows.

Hardly any game runs the same on Windows and Mac this is because very few games use Open GL. Usually it is DirectX for Windows and that is ported to Open GL. Even if the game is written in OpenGL it still requires executables that work on the other OS. You just don't get anywhere with exe file on OSX.
    Your install disc you have is probably old and while today more and more game come with OSX support it wasn't so back then. If it doesn't say it supports Mac on the DVD case then it doesn't.
    I think the Mac port for CSS came a little time after Steam for Mac was released. And Steam for Mac isn't all that old. CSS is quite a bit older.

Steam has a port for CSS. Just install steam on Mac if you have purchased CSS on Windows Steam you are also allowed to install it on your Mac. No repurchase necessary. If you log in with your nick it should just show in libraries. At least I have Half Life 2 there and I could hit the install button if I wanted. Never cared for gaming on OSX and probably never will.
    Windows drivers are better, DirectX games look better and perform better. There is just not enough effort for the Mac platform from developers.

4. djmitchcraven1 thread starter macrumors newbie

will setting up bootcamp cause any performance errors? slowness lagging etc I need my mac functional for audio production programs but i need a good game for time killer loll

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think you will be fine running CSS in OSX. It is a rather old and not very demanding game.

But still, setting up bootcamp does absolutely nothing to OSX. It takes a bit of harddrive space and that is it. It influences nothing at all on OSX. It cannot.
    As for performance in Windows. Drivers perform as well as can be. Speed is all there or as much as the hardware allows. It is mostly bad touchpad support and power saving features that work not as well in Windows, which is why a MBP running Windows is a bit crippled. But for gaming with a mouse plugged in there is zero problems.
    You need to restart every time to play CSS if you install it in bootcamp. Thus just running it in OSX is the more convenient solution. I never tried HL2 on OSX but I would be very surprised if it didn't run at the highest possible settings on a 2011 17" MBP.
    It is more for new games that you'd need Windows.

6. djmitchcraven1 thread starter macrumors newbie

si simply put; with or without boot camp CSS will run fine and if i install bootcamp its not gonna mess up my OSX in anyway? and I only got half life 2 for CSS lol i think I'm just gonna download the mac port from steam. iv been afraid to even download steam lol