Need advice upgrading to new mac, is ratina display worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shamsmu, Jun 12, 2012.

1. shamsmu, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

shamsmu macrumors newbie

Currently, I have the Macbook pro 13 mid 2009. Needless to say the device is getting slow and laggy to the point where its difficult to use. I tried ssd upgrading twice but sata 2 and 3 ssds don't work properly with this device. There are constant freezes and beachballs every now and then and I have to force restart the mac every time that happens. The problems disappear when I put in the original hard drive but the 5400rpm is just too slow especially when coupled with an old core 2 duo cpu. Apps take forever to load. So its time for an upgrade, I can upgrade in one of the 2 ways-

1. Get a macbook pro 15 retina display. ($2280 - $400-500 after selling my old mac)
    2. Get a 13 macbook air ($1299) and keep my old macbook pro for itunes library. As the 128gb on the mba isn't enough for it.

I only need this macbook for university works, web browsing and itunes. I do not need discreet graphics for gaming as I already have a dual gtx670 desktop.
    So should I spend $1000 more for the retina display? or take the mba and save $1000?

2. Captain Nougat macrumors newbie

Stick with the Air. Retina screen won't be worth it unless you're a graphic designer/video editor/photography... I don't believe 1000 dollars more is worth it for what you'll use it for.

There's options to get the storage upgraded to 256GB or 512GB as well. I'd probably spend a bit of money just to get it to 256GB. The RAM upgrade is your choice and with your computing habits, seems like 4GB is probably enough.

Hope this helps.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

+1

$2200 for the retina MBP is honestly pointless unless you really need the retina display and quad core processor. For basic web browsing and school work, the 13" MBA will suffice. You can either wait for a third party to come out with upgradeable SSD for the new Air or just settle for the $1499 13" MBA which comes standard with 256gb ssd.

Save your money, as I am. I clearly want the new retina, but definitely don't need it. Maybe once and hopefully the 13" retina comes out, Ill upgrade definitely!!!

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

That machine should not be getting "slow and laggy." Try running Onyx or Disk Permission Repair on it. Try CCleaner too.

5. george020106 macrumors newbie