Need advice... Usage stats.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knowlege Bomb, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

First off, I have a first gen 8GB.

I tried taking a screenshot to post but it's not showing up in my iPhoto. Anyway it looks something like this:

Usage: 3 Hours, 22 Minutes
    Standby: 15 Hours, 11 Minutes

Battery remaining is a green sliver. I'm guessing it's going to turn red pretty soon. Is this normal?? I thought I remember the claims being at something like 5 hours internet usage. Should I take this in for a replacement or is this about right?

Sorry I know there's a lot of threads about usage but this is obviously specific from case to case.

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I think it's 5 hours of CONSTANT internet usage

NOT including the 15 hours of standby you've already had the phone on for

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Thats definitely true. Your usage stats look reasonable for me for your TOTAL usage...

4. shinenjk macrumors regular

5. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Thanks for the quick responses.

I think I'm just afraid I'm not going to get a good phone since the last one I had to turn in for Wi-Fi problems was otherwise perfect.

AND I remember seeing somebody's screenshot with 5+ hours of usage and over a day of standby.

6. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Yeah not all batteries will perform the exact same. But I wouldn't complain much with those stats.

7. shinenjk macrumors regular

It all depends on how you use it. If you just listen to music all day and make couple calls, send couple txts, check email now and then, you'll get 5hours+ easy.

Also it is true that battery life improves after 1-2 charges so if you just got it, give the battery some time to work itself out.

8. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Well it's been about a week since I did the exchange at the Apple store and I charge it fully every night. I haven't really noticed any improvement after the cycling.

Most of my usage is MacRumors. So basically loading a page every 5 or so minutes and lots of scrolling. My brightness is set somewhere around 25%, which is way lower than I prefer but it has helped a little with the battery life.

9. shinenjk macrumors regular

That explains it. Don't expect more than 3-4hrs of use when you browse often.

10. cantankerously macrumors regular

Don't discount the phones battery because it's at 20%.

I can still watch a 100 minute movie on my 3G with that much battery life remaining.

11. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Yeah I bet when it was out of life he'd be close to 5 hrs usage...

12. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I just took it off the charger. I'm going to run it til the phone shuts off and see how the stats come out.

13. MisterEd macrumors 6502

If you're not using it, turn 3G off as it makes a HUGE difference for me...

Ed

14. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I don't have 3G.

15. trunksu macrumors 6502

yeah you'll prob hit 5 hours since at red it means 20%. 20% is a lot and as others have said, usage really depends on "what" you're using it for.

as others have said you could run up your usage easily if just listening to ipod all day and that's it. internet surfing on 1st gen is the most taxing thing to the battery.

curious what firmware you're using though. if you're using 2.0+ i'd turn off push too.

16. MacMonkey13 macrumors member

I charged my phone overnight. I left on a trip and only used email, no surfing. I made 3 or 4 short calls. My phone has been on for 10 hours and is less than 20% left. I have 3G off. What's the deal?