Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I have a 24 inch early 2009 3.06 mhz iMac computer and it has been having very serious hardware issues.

The computer was repaired twice. The 1st repair, Apple sent an in-home technician to replace the power supply and the 2nd repair, the technician replaced the logic board, harddrive, power supply and a power cable.

Three days after the 2nd repair, the computer started to shut down randomly and any external drive connected to the iMac via the usb port, would immediately cause the iMac to shut down. I would like to add that these were the issues that resulted in my having the 2nd repair done.

By the way, I've also tested all the five external devices that I used on my iMac and inserted them onto the usb ports of my Macbook Air notebook and they work perfectly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing these issues? Thanks! :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Do you have any problems with other electronics in the house lately.

It might just be a shtty iMac but is your power in the house OK, you might have spikes on your net, any nearby factory could cause problems.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Spink10 is right on the money, if it's covered by AppleCare then contact AppleCare and request a replacement machine. You may need to be a little persistent however Apple is pretty reasonable in these situations. If you don't have AppleCare then you're pretty much on your own.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

Thanks so much to everyone who has replied to my post. I have the Apple Care Protection Plan. As far as having any problems with electronics around my home, everything seems to be working fine (not experiencing any outages, etc).

I have been working with an Apple senior advisor for the past several months regarding the hardware issues I've been having with the iMac and she is very familiar with the issues I've been having with my iMac.

Today she had me install a software application called "Apple Support Screen Sharing" which allowed her to "see" the external devices I inserted on the usb port of my Macbook Air, therefore confirming that these devices work on my notebook.

She also had me install today, the above software application on my iMac and when I had inserted an external device into the usb port of my computer, the iMac immediately shut down, so she was able to observe it on her end. Unfortunately, the 2nd attempt at inserting an external device on the usb port of my iMac did not occur because the computer just suddenly shut down and we tried several times to do a hardware reset and it did not work. The iMac will not turn on at all at this time.

The advisor is sending a report of these issues that are occurring on my iMac to the engineering department to see what their suggestions are. I did ask her for a replacement machine and she said that it will depend on what the engineering department recommends, since they have designed and built these machines and might think of a possible part to replace to resolve the hardware issues.

I am hoping for a positive resolution to this problem (even though I was told by the advisor about apple's three time repair policy before they can issue a replacement), one way or another.

By the way, is the Apple three times repair policy always followed or is there some discretion/leeway that is permitted, which would allow the senior advisor/and or perhaps someone higher than her, the opportunity to replace the iMac? Thanks! :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I think you will wind up with a replacement...You've jumped through all the hoops...The screen-sharing is usually the last step prior to Apple deciding that it's time to give up on this one..good luck..:)

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I just wanted to give everyone who replied back to me (with kindness and support) about my computer's hardware issues. I've was contacted today by Apple and they are going to replace my unit with a 2012 27 inch base model.

The 24 inch iMac was sent (a few days ago) to an authorized Apple service provider who found that they needed to replace the logic board and power supply and Apple said they did not want replace these parts again (as the power supply was replaced twice and the logic board was recently replaced), so they decided to replace the unit with another computer.

So I'm looking forward to receiving my new replacement!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.