Need advice: Which hard drive to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeremy6044, Nov 21, 2007.

1. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

so my new blackbook has been ordered! :)

turns out, though, since it was a birthday gift and i'm not the one ordering it, that it was ordered with the 250 gb hard drive. it is 5400rpm, but i'm wondering if it's slow compared to the other hard drives.

see, the thing is, i only have 17 gb of data (music and pictures mostly)...i don't need that much space! so is there any reason i should get the other hard drive...maybe because the smaller one is faster?

also, since i don't need that much space, would it be worth it to buy a smaller 7200rpm hard drive and swap them out? (for example, the hitachi 7k200, etc.) will i really notice a difference?

what do you think i should do?

2. wildwobby macrumors member

The size of the hard drive will make no difference what so ever...

The RPM, 7200 vs 5400 will, however make a difference, but it also uses more electricity lowering your battery life if thats important.

A 250gb laptop hd is pretty nice. If I were you I wouldn't bother switching it out, there is nothing wrong with having extra capacity, a smaller hd will only hinder you in the future, providing no performance benefit.

3. RichardF macrumors 6502

RichardF

If he gets the HItachi Travelstar 2.5" 7K200 200GB, the power consumption and noise are equal to their 5K400 model. It's a great drive.

4. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

5. GreenDice macrumors member

If I remember correctly, hard drive performance decreases when a drive starts to fill up. So a bigger drive, with everything else being equal, tends to provide better performance for longer period of time. However, if you only use a fraction of the hard drive space (e.g. 17GB), I believe the 7200rpm will always perform better than 5400rpm.

6. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

how noticeable is the difference between a 5400rpm drive and a 7200rpm drive? i don't keep that many windows open and i don't use programs that require that much power...just word processing, web, itunes, etc.

7. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

dude, here's how it'll happen...you'll get your shiny new blackbook, you'll play with it, you'll love it and you won't even notice the speed of the drive. You'll just have a really cool computer that does everything you need it to and more.....what more could you possibly want? chill out. :apple: