Need advice with audio war

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by acedrums, Aug 1, 2010.

1. acedrums macrumors member

First off: Thanks for any one taking the time to help me! I just need review/recommendations of whats below.

Now straight to business. I, as many may be, am a musician who is debating on purchasing one of two different type of software: Notation and Recording. The reason is both have their advantage and disadvantage. I would like notation so I can write my own songs and here them back (i.e. orchestra, big band, etc.). On the flip side, I would also like to actually record some songs I make. Tricky little pickle. And upon that, I have sub groups to the two sides.

For notation, I'm leaning to Sibelius but also considering Finale. Both look fantastic, but from my research (which is short), Sibelius just seems that much better to me do to its ease to use but both are really close.

For recording, its the all famous Logic vs Pro Tools. This time, I'm leaning to Pro Tools (because its considered the "standard"). Now sadly, I haven't done much research on these programs. But in the long run, this is what I want: I want to be able to record music very easily, but also take out a keyboard and create electronic, pop, or along-those-lines kind of music.

Now to finish, i currently have no audio interfaces or what not so if I do go the recording route, im litteraly starting from scratch. Just little info there.

Overall, whats your recommendation/review? Thank you again! :cool:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

both Sibelius and Finale have demos. i recommend you download each and see which makes more sense to you / you find easier to work with.

i did so 3 years ago and chose Sibelius. since, Avid (who makes ProTools) purchased Sibelius, so that may give you some guidance.

for pieces i've written in Sibelius, i've assigned instruments and have rendered the tracks as AIFFs that i can pull into ProTools for subsequent processing. as they're now in the same company, there may be better/easier integration, but i'm running older copies of each and couldn't offer any insight into that.

for the complexity of the program, i found Sibelius straightforward to use and become at least somewhat proficient at. i'm by no means the most accomplished of composers, and my focus is getting the piece to sound the way i want, not necessarily to look the way i want, and Sibelius suited me well.

3. acedrums thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice, Ill probably check up on the two's compatibility. And I did try both demos, but never went so in depth with it so I agree from the same idea, Sibelius runs better to the eye. But I ain't no expert, so I just wanted who have all used it opinions. Do you know what is required for the Education purchase of Sibelius and Pro Tools?

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i do not, sorry.

5. acedrums thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks any ways.