need advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Illuminated, May 5, 2011.

1. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

So today is my schedule day off from work, and tomorrow was a day off as well, until my chef called me and asked me to come in for a regular shift (8am-4:30), and I said yes.

So today, while I was enjoying my day off, I got a call from my chef telling me the person who was supposed to work tonight (2:30-11pm) called out, and she asked someone else to work, but that person couldn't, so she ended up calling me. I told her I couldn't cause I had made plans earlier in the week with my family to spend time with my cousin who is visiting the states from Germany. Now I feel bad because she said she (my chef), might come in tonight instead, but shes also on her day off (her 2nd day off this week).

If I said yes, I would have had NO days off this week, and through sunday, would have worked 12 days in a row. Was it wrong for me to say I can't come in?

Also, my position is the lowest paid (pastry cook 4).

Any advice is much appreciated!

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

If you're asking whether you should feel bad I don't think you should.

Like you said you would have had 12 days without a break yet your chef (sure in a higher position) has had a couple of days off.

The shifts would also be quite close together, 11pm-8am as a break isn't great!

3. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Because my chef seemed upset...

Yeah, I would not be able to work at productive level tomorrow morning. I get up at 5:30am! I take the 6:30 train to the city and get there by 7:15...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

She's upset because she has to come in and she may also have plans.

By the way, while you shouldn't feel guilty, saying no on these types of requests could come back to bite you when your review comes around.

If it were me, I'd call her back and work one of the days, better to lose a day off then to impact your work life in a negative way.

5. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I understand that it might bite me in the butt later (doubtful). But I've never called out in the 5 months I've worked at the hotel, and I never tried switching days off. If I would have come in today, I would have had no days off, still would have to come in on my day off tomorrow on like 4 or 5 hours of sleep.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Understood, I was just tying to add some perspective and possible consequences. Not knowing your situation, means that there may or may not be consequences.

7. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I did apologize and told her I felt bad, but my cousin is coming over from Germany! I haven't seen him in over 3 years, and he's only coming for one day!

Hopefully she's not mad at me for saying no...we'll see.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You did the right thing. You helped her up already by picking up a shift tomorrow. No reason why you have to pick up tonight too. Your cousin is coming and you should go visit. It's not your problem someone else called out, it's your boss's. If you are the only option and it would involve giving up your only day off (not to mention the family thing) than it seems like your place might be short staffed, and that is your chef's fault.

Pretty typical of hospitality/service industries. Last weekend I did friday night 4pm-midnight, saturday 10am-11pm, sunday 10am-10pm. long hours and short turn around, but it's the only way you can make money.

Yup, but she's the boss, and if she isn't adequately staffed, then it's her problem and she has to deal with it. There's no reason the OP has to cover up and give up his only day off to bail her out.

You are worrying too much. These people get you have lives outside of work, because they do too. Sometimes they just have to deal with it. They can't punish you for it. It's not like you did anything wrong.

Just enjoy your night with your cousin and you will be fine back at work tomorrow.

9. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Thanks Z. I don't think I'll get in trouble, but with a hotel corporation, you never know.

I see it the same way. It's not my fault that someone else called out.

I gave her a recommendation on people that might be able to work tonight. Someone who works the line in the restaurant, can also make the desserts when ever a ticket is rung in. She did it before, and she was good at it. Also there are people who works the day shift in the bake shop that can stay till at least 9pm...not even a double shift.

Also, I haven't worked the restaurant at night in over a month and a half. I'm now working the 4:30am-1pm shift, or the 8am-4:30pm shift every week. Plus there are new desserts that I'm not really familiar with. I only watched someone plate them once.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Nope it's not. It's not your job to have to worry about any of that. You get paid to show up when you are scheduled, do your job, and go home after your shift. Your manager/chef gets paid to make those personnel decisions and deal with the problems regarding that. That is why they make more money.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

12. paolo- macrumors 6502a

You did the right thing. If you're a good employee, come in on time, work your ass off, etc. there's no reason bend backwards. Actually, you don't want to be the go-to guy for horrible situations... 12 days straight (and going in on call yesterday), your cousin coming over from Germany and working early the next day, dude that's plenty 'nuff good reason. 12 days straight is crazy, I used to work in a super market and couldn't work more than 6 straight due to our syndicate.

13. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

So...nothing happened...i'm still employed.

This weekend through monday is going to be crazy at the hotel. Wolfgang Puck Catering is prepping/cooking in our kitchens for a huge event on Monday night...I only have 1 day off next week.

I'm gonna get burnt out.