Need Advice

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ronboutwell, Oct 1, 2011.

1. ronboutwell macrumors newbie

Currently: Kabul Afghanistan. Hometown: Gulfport,
    I just received a new MacBook Pro with 8 GB upgrade and i7 processor. I immediately installed a 256 GB Samsung SSD. This thing is smokin' fast now and Lion runs really well on it compared to my previous MacBook Pro with the 4 GB Ram and Duo Core processor. At any rate. When I received it - it was equipped with the built in Recovery Disk partition that I could tell would be handy. Upon installing my new SSD there is no such partition or tool. tried to create a new Recovery Disk tool on an external USB drive as the Apple website indicates I can. It would not let me and informed me that this is only possible when the Recovery Tool is present on the HD in it's own partition as before. How do I restore this feature?

2. 50548 Guest

Go to About This Mac, More info, click on Serial-ATA and then find your SSD there...are you absolutely sure there is nothing named "Recovery HD" there? It should be automatically installed on the System disk where you have Lion...

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

How did you move your info to the new SSD? If from an image you won't have a recovery partition. You'll need to re-install Lion for it to recreate the recovery partition. You can make your own by partitioning your SSD and applying a new 10.7 install to it without apps and files. Boot using Option key and repair from it.

4. ronboutwell thread starter macrumors newbie

I migrated it when I rebooted after reinstalling Lion via the Internet Recovery Tool. I contacted Apple. They let me in on a little known fact about the Internet Recovery Tool. When you reinstall Lion using that tool it drops your partitions then reinstalls. It will not reinstall the Recovery Tool partition. However, if you use the options key to redownload the Lion OS from the Ap Store - it will add the Recovery Tool partition. Go figure. I assume from that that the Internet Recovery Tool is meant more for someone who has found themselves in dire straights and it is their final resort. That being said, Apple did send me to a website to download a free application called "Lion Diskmaker". If you stop the Lion installation from the Ap store after the install file is dropped into your applications file and move a copy of it into any other file along with this really cool (and free) application - then run the application it will use that copy of the Lion installation ap to create a BOOTABLE LION INSTALLATION DISK on either a USB drive or a burned disk. I tried it. IT WORKED GREAT!!! I tested the new install disk and it is both bootable and works great. It is almost identical in use as the old Snow Leopard bootable install disk. I created mine on a USB drive. The site for the download is:

http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

Again, it is free. It is also remarkably small in file size. But you will need to download another copy of the Lion installer from the Ap store and place it in a file folder of it's own with Diskmaker.

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

Wasn't the recent firmware upgrade to the newest gen MBP done to make the recovery part of the BIOS/EFI and thus elminated the need for a recovery partition or a recovery USB drive?

6. ronboutwell thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently, the entire Recovery Tool is not included in the firmware. The Internet Recovery Tool is. When you use the Internet recovery Tool on a blank and unformatted drive (as I did) your only option is to download the full Recovery Tool which takes a while. Then run it and download a fresh copy of the OS which automatically installs on the new drive without the hidden Recovery Tool partition.

----------

Apparently, the entire Recovery Tool is not included in the firmware. The Internet Recovery Tool is. When you use the Internet recovery Tool on a blank and unformatted drive (as I did) your only option is to download the full Recovery Tool which takes a while. Then run it and download a fresh copy of the OS which automatically installs on the new drive without the hidden Recovery Tool partition. That takes much longer.