Need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macgeekster, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Macgeekster macrumors newbie

Hi all!
    So I was wondering if you guys/gals out there that are more in tune with apple products than myself could give me some advice on a new MacBook purchase.

I currently have a MacBook circa 2007 model. This computer still functions, but has a few things that need updating. Needs a new battery, a few new keys, a new back cover ( there is a large crack in it) as well as a new power cord :)
    I have thought about selling in eBay And upgrading to new MacBook pro. - sadly not the retina display, a little too expensive for my taste.

So my question is, would you guys opt for the MacBook air or the pro?

I do very little gaming, a little photo editing, word processing, and of course have music and photos stored.
    I do use the Internet to just surf quite a bit.
    I went to the apple store today to kind of get a feel of both and my initial impressions are toward the pro. It seems like you get more for your money. I know it is not as portable, but it still seems ok.
    Can anyone that has both or knows much about these machines voice their opinion?

One thing that I have noticed , which seems unfortunate, is that when I bought my MacBook in 07 they gave me a free iPod . Doesn't seem like apple is giving away such great deals anymore, or maybe it is just me.

Thanks!

2. trikky, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

trikky macrumors regular

I'm so glad you asked a question that's never been asked before in this forum. :eek:

The first thing you should look for is a computer where the search function works. You may get some guidance from the hundreds of posts with an almost identical question. :D But seriously...I'm always of the attitude that you should get what you think YOU need, not what someone else says you need. Which is why I bought a 2011 MBP 17" refurb when the new ones came out. I don't need the latest and greatest.

3. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

It sounds like either will cover your needs in terms if processing capabilities, so you need to answer the personal question of which is right for you.

The MBA is more portable, less upgradeable, has less ports and no optical drive (external available). The MBP is more powerful, more upgradeable, more repairable, optical drive, heavier, bulkier.