Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmo777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
Greetings,

Im currently in the process of purchasing a new macbook. My current macbook pro is a refurbished mid 2014 retina model with specs that are above average for the price i bought it at:

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/produ...-26ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

However, my current macbook needs a battery replacement, screen replacement and i would like to upgrade the SSD. So, my question is should i upgrade my current model, or should i purchase a new one? If so, what model?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A 2014 MBP retina already -has- an SSD inside.

A battery replacement should cost $200. Make sure you get a firm quote first that INCLUDES the cost of labor.

What is wrong with the display?
Is it physically "broken" (cracked), or is the anti-glare coating "flaking off"?
If it's just the coating, Apple has a free display replacement program that will cover this.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you take the laptop to an Apple Store genius bar and let them look at it...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So, my question is should i upgrade my current model, or should i purchase a new one? If so, what model?
My personal opinion is that is not worth spending a lot of money on a 4 year old computer, so save your money and get a newer one. However I cannot recommend will work best for you have not defined your usages.

-has- an SSD inside.
He may wanting to upgrade the storage, i.e., larger SSD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.