Need Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dragonskin, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Dragonskin macrumors newbie

I have a New MAC book 2.16 about 4 months old which I purchased in a military exchange and now sits collecting dust here in Africa. The list of problems I have had: keyboard will pause giving a slight delay in writing, safari closes unexpectedly, freezes often resulting me using the power button to restart, sometimes after it has been restarted the folder with ? shows up. Then I will have an application open and it will not respond to quitting, also when I try to open an application it bounces in the dock requesting force quit. I run Leopard Cache cleaner and Onyx which clears the problems up for sometime. I gave Apple support a call but the connection is not the greatest even with an AT&T calling card. I am open to suggestion and welcome any advice. Thanks DS.

2. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Wow.... that sounds really bad... Did you buy it used? It sounds like a defected MacBook which is rare but not impossible. Maybe re-install the os? The ? mark at startup is the worst of everything that you mentioned. That means that the computer can't find a start-up volume on your HD. Maybe you need a new HD?

3. Dragonskin thread starter macrumors newbie

I spoke with a rep at Apple and explained the ? folder thing and inquired about a new HD and she expressed that it wouldn't matter. It sucks because I am overseas on deployment and unless Apple tells me to send it back I'll be stuck with a broke machine. Thanks for the reply CJ.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the keyboard freezing issue should of been sorted out with the recent macbook software update. have you installed all the recent updates with software update?

for the "?" folder on startup problem try opening startup disk in system preferences and selecting your main hard drive and click restart. if that doesn't work try resetting your PRAM but restarting while holding down "command-option-P-R" :)

hopefully the 10.5.2 update thats rumoured to come out in a coupla weeks will fix your application and OS freezing issues. but we should not ignore the fact that you may have a hardware issue. so how did the support call go? she just said it doesn't matter and thats it? are you going to ring again if the freezing issues continue?

5. Dragonskin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I need to find time to get this arranged so I can hopefully find the issue with this through support. Being in Africa can not be the best for things when they need to happen plus the connection between phone lines really is not the best for communication. I wrote an email explaining the situation and numerous problems so now I wait. I was all about upgrading the HD and Ram for one but now a delay, appreciate the feedback people. This is very frustrating to boot, since this is what makes life easier here.