Need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cniverson, Mar 13, 2008.

1. cniverson macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and the Mac world. I am semi-puter literate. My wife and I are thinking of purchasing a Mac this weekend. Our main uses will be surfing, email, quickbooks, music and video/pic to DVD. I may keep my current puter for quickbooks but I think once we go Mac we won't go back. My questions are;

1 How easy is it to transfer data between current HP and future Mac?

2 Will I have a lot of extra programs to clean off a new Mac like you do for the HP's?

3 Will pics stored on disc with HP be read by Mac?

4 What suggestions of models and features do you have. I was thinking of laptop but am concerned about storage for pics and video.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you turn on full-access sharing on your HP, it will be incredibly easy to access everything on your HP and copy it over a network.

There are a few programs that most people won't use/don't need, but they are easily delt with by dragging them to the trash. But it is only like ten Applications, not the 50-100 programs that PC OEMs install.

Yes. Images are all stored in formats that can be used on many platforms, otherwise images on the internet wouldn't work.

If you a worried about storage, remember you can always add external drives, or using an AirPort Extreme (n) or TimeCapsule you can have external drives that are all accessable wirelessly. You really should not take all your images and videos with you everywhere. I recommend a MacBook Pro, as there will always be a time in which it is handy to take the computer with you, it is comperable to an iMac in power, can easily have an external display (no adapters needed for most screens), and is overall just awesome.

That is what we are here for.

TEG

3. cniverson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks TEG,

Have you had any dealings with the Apple store in Pioneer Place Portland, OR?