Need Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Woody970, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Woody970 macrumors member

Currently I have an iMac, MacBook Pro, MacMini and an AppleTV all networked using an AEBSn. The advice that I need is that I'm thinking of purchasing two external hard dives, one to use for time machine that will be connected to the AEBSn so that all of the computers can be backed up. The other will be connected to the iMac which is the main computer and be used for my iTunes and iPhoto libraries which are getting rather large. I thought about selling my AEBSn and getting the 1TB Time Capsule but I can purchase a 750GB and a 500GB external for less money. Please could somebody advise me on what the best solution would be!

Thanks in advance,

Woody

2. thenetstud macrumors member

I would keep the AEBSn and buy 2 external hard drives. You would be saving money in the long run plus having the AEBSn you are already set in that department.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Well in my opinion I would get a timecapsule as they do exactly what they are meant too do. I have the 500GB TC and I have never had a problem with it, even though it backs up all the computers in the house. I prefer it because it is all in one small enclosure as I have enough wires already and whats too say that AEBS will always be able to support external hard drives.

Matt

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I'd definitely bypass the Time Capsule, since you already have the Airport Extreme. You can get any compatible hard drive you want, easily for less money. Why replace what's already working? (assuming you have the newest version)

I would steer clear of RAID 0 drive setups for backups, so keep that in mind when getting a back up or storage hard drive. You were right on in deciding what to do. Good luck to you. :)

5. Woody970 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the input, I just wanted to know if I was heading in the right direction. I'm going to go ahead and purchase the two external hard drives and connect them per my original post above. That way I can have time machine running on all machines and backing up through the AEBSn and transfer my iTunes and iPhoto libraries to the second drive that will be connected to my iMac. :)