Need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aps, Sep 18, 2008.

1. aps macrumors newbie

I have been using my MBP for the past 6 months. And I happen to use it for pretty long hours at a stretch. Both my wrists gets burnt (no scars on the skin) with a burning sensation under the skin above and below the wrist extending to my lower palm(area near the wrist) even long after my usage.

The way I have been using the keyboard on the MBP was to rest my arms on the left and right aluminum space available on the MBP - no external keyboards or mouses.

Could anyone out there suggest me alternatives as I cannot hold both my forearms up to use the keyboard for long hours - not to mention the radiation I still experience.

Thanks a lot for any advice and I hope this would help lot of other people out there experiencing such burning sensations.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is just the heat of the case, as it is used for heat dissipation. I would suggest either using a cloth to cover the area where you rest your hands, or use a desk fan to increase the dissipation rate of the heat.

TEG

3. aps thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions TEG.

I did try first option - layers of cloth - it didn't work either. The heat radiation was heavy enough to pass those layers to reach my hands.

Its indeed unfortunate to note that apple has chosen to select the area on the MBP case where people rest their arms for heat dissipation.

Yet to try the second option. Not sure how far this would help.

As for now, my wrists still remembers the burns - not knowing how to forget them! Thanks to :apple:

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

Try to use external keyboard and mouse as much as possible. Use some kind of a cooling base (iLap), because the case of a MBP is actually a cooler for it's processor. A fan is a good idea as well.

I think, Apple publishes safety guidelines concerning the hit of the case, it may be useful to read.

There is no radiation as far as I know...

No offence, but you sounds a bit hypochondriacally. That could be also a problem.

sash

6. aps thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi sash,

Thanks for your comments.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like Carpal Tunnel. You should have it checked out by your doctor. Don't over look this.

EDIT: I see Consultant, already said that.

8. aps thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Consultant

Thanks for your advice and comments.

Hi Alphaod

Thanks for your advice and comments.

9. aps thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Just wanted to convey my success in MBP long-hours usage.It might be of use to friends like me using the metallic MBP 17" for long-hours. Wonder how.. simple...a bit of physique's customizing

1. did not let my palms rest on the metal flat surface (anyone would be tempted to place palms on while typing) below the keyboard anymore... is annoying ... but practice makes it..

2. minimized the use of the trackpad - got an apple wireless mighty mouse instead.

I enjoy making use of my Intel core 2 duo once again, realizing, there is no symptoms of carpel tunnel syndrome.