Need advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by artomes, Dec 30, 2008.

1. artomes macrumors newbie

Hello everyone I recently purchased an Imac 20" 2.66 and i'm looking to get an external hard drive to back up my itunes growing library. Im looking for a 1tb drive for a good price but i want a reliable product. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated:D.

2. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

I found the Western Digital myBooks to be a pretty good deal when I did the same about a year ago.

3. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I just bought a Seagate Xtreme 1TB for $150. I've had for about 1 month with no problems, and the 5 year warranty is reassuring. Just buy it before they downgrade the warranty in January 2009.

4. artomes thread starter macrumors newbie

wheres a good place to find external hard drives compatible with mac?

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

My advice would be to purchase an OEM HDD and an external case and put it together yourself. You might not save any money, but at least you know exactly what HDD you're getting.

I would suggest the Seagate Barracuda series for the HDD and a Macally FW/USB2 case. Check out newegg.com for decent prices.

1TB 3.5" 7200RPM SATA HDDs are going for a little over $100 these days. A decent Macally case is about $35.

So for around $135 to $150, you can get a 1TB external HDD with both FW and USB2.