need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PITIRRE, Apr 13, 2009.

1. PITIRRE macrumors newbie

Hi, I would like to invest in a new apple computer, most of my work is in video editing. I was looking to invest in a Mac Pro but I am a little worried that if I invest let's see $4,000 and Apple in a couple of year put a new computer on the market I would be stuck with an old computer.
    It's there anyway to know when Apple is going to put a new computer in the market? for example a G6?. Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err... virtually any computer by any manufacturer will be outdated in a couple of years. This shouldn't stop you from buying one now if you need one.

3. PITIRRE thread starter macrumors newbie

Which computer should I buy?

Hi, I love Apple computer for many reason, one is that is a perfect tool to do video editing. I don't have a video editing business but I do video productions. Do you think it's a good idea to invest on a Mac Pro, IMac or Inotebook?

Probably some of you can say "That depends how much you want to inve$t?
    but my main concern is to buy a computer that can serve me for several years and had the capabilities to expand with enough memory. For example can I get the same result with a Inotebook and a Mac Pro? Thanks

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There won't be any G6 computer from Apple, as Apple abandoned the PowerPC CPU architecture (G3, G4, G5) in 2006.

Apple uses Intel now, and seems to release a new MacPro every year.

So, as the current MacPro was just updated to a newer processor, you'll have to wait to next year, til something new comes around in this regard.

Also consult the MacForums Buyer's Guide (link on top right of this page) for Apple's update cycles, but those are only approximations based on past updates.

So you'll will be more than fine with a current MacPro or even an iMac, if your video editing doesn't revolve around broadcast formats.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Depends on the results. A MacBook Pro would do fine with most SD (PAL / NTSC) based formats, but a MacPro would give you more bang for your buck and is expandable.
    You can put more RAM in along the way (up to 32GB) and even change or add graphic cards.

So it all depends on the kind of editing you do.

Take a look at the specs of your editing software (Avid or FCP) and have a look at the specs of your desired machines.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Buy as much computer as you can comfortably afford now. The nice thing about macs are that they hold their value longer than most windows boxes.

Apple has pledged fealty to Intel, so you can look up the Intel roadmap to see when Apple will come up with new systems.

If you want expandability and maximum shelf life for your investment, then I think it would have to be a mac pro. There's more than a few people out there making a living on g5 powermacs that are 3-4 years old, but most people are giving up or semi-retiring their same era g4 powerbooks.

That said, any system you buy today will be a relic in 'several years'. Technology makes us all it's bit##es.

8. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

I'm a videio editor. See my sig line below for the specs on my Macs. I edit in FCS2 with both machines. The Pro is obviously faster than the MBP, but it's harder to take with me when I travel. ;)

I don't expect I'll NEED to upgrade for many, many, many more years. BUT I fully expect to WANT to upgrade long before then.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It is if it'll save you time and the time is worth more than the hardware cost. =)

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That, and from a business point of view you do need to consider life cycle costs, depreciation, maintenance, etc.