need advice

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stew1tx, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Stew1tx macrumors newbie

Trying to figure out what might be the easiest way to have a setup that has the same look and feel of a server. Have a bunch of files we have on our old server (pc) and we have switched over to macs. We still have one pc on the old system so getting the data would not be the problem really. So, what I am thinking here is having some system, software driven, that would allow us all to be able to either dial in or access data on each iMac from a remote location. That would essentially give us the opportunity to have a mutual folder on each computer to store files or transfer files while say one of us was on the road and save them to one of our computers. We have apple remote desktop but i must be doing something wrong because i can't get it to work outside of all of us being connected to the same wireless network, and I have some issues still.

Any advice?

2. Stew1tx thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You can use SSH to log into a Mac over a network (internet included.)

4. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

the remote desktop SHOULD work.. although I am having the same issues as you.. You should continue on with the remote desktop.. you need to have a VNC viewer like Chicken of the VNC .. and have port 5900 opened, but once you get that, it SHOULD be easy.. although there is soemthing SERIOUSLY wrong with my setup