Need Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newmac1234, Aug 6, 2009.

1. newmac1234 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am trying to decide between a late 2008 15-inch Macbook Pro and the new 13-inch Macbook Pro. As far as I can tell, the major difference is the new battery. I was wondering if anyone could help me make this decision.

The specs on the 15 inch laptop are:
    # 5.5 pounds (2.49 kg)
    # 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    # 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    # Built-in iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (requires adapters, sold separately)
    # NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM dedicated; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
    # 2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 4GB
    # 250GB Serial ATA hard disk drive; 5400 rpm
    # 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    # Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
    # Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital input/analog line in, combined optical digital output/analog line out
    # Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
    # Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) Ethernet
    # Multi-Touch trackpad for precise cursor control; supports two-finger scrolling, pinch, rotate, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities
    # Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard (includes Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools)
    # iLife ’08 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)

Thanks.

2. saladfingers macrumors newbie

I would definitely go for the 2008 one. Bigger screen, got all the features of the new one. It is the low spec 13" right? not the 2.53Ghz high end model, because then you would probably be better off going for that.

HOWEVER: The 2008 version does not have a fire wire port. If this isn't something you need however, then you don't need to worry about it.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Thought of looking at a refurb mid 2009 15" MBP?

4. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

I second this.

5. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I thought the late 2008 15" MBP has a FireWire port but the 13" Aluminum Macbook doesn't.

6. newmac1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the advantage of the refurbished 2009 MBP over the late 2008 model? I am talking about the low spec 13" MBP, but I would upgrade it to 250 GB and 4 GB of ram.

The reason I ask is because I can get the late 2008 15" for the same price as the new 13" with the upgrades. I think the 2008 15" MBP is a better computer for the money, but I am concerned about giving up the battery life of the new one. I also can probably do everything that I need to do on the 13" MBP.

Thanks everyone

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'm getting rid of my 15" uMBP for a new 13"MBP tomorrow. Always liked the form factor and now with FW, upgraded display, keyboard light and SD slot the low end 13" is a nice deal and more of what I want. 15" was too big and have been yearning for a 12"PB replacement since Apple went Intel. The 13" MBP is most likely as close as I'll see.

8. Emsmu macrumors newbie

I have the 2.4ghz 15" late 2008 macbook pro, and my advice is to go with the 13" macbook. Yes, the two inches could be a dealbreaker, and the 15" is a really nice computer, but if I could choose between the 9600 graphics card and the 7 hour battery, I would most definitely choose the battery life. Other than the two inches, it's the same computer, but with a longer battery life and a pound lighter. I watch a lot of videos on my macbook and I find that I need to keep it plugged in a lot, as I get about two hours of video from a battery cycle, but my friend who has a 13" with the longer battery uses her's off the charger for long periods of time and has never had a problem. In everyday use, battery should show it's efficiency over the graphics card (unless you're a gamer of course)