Need Advice!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rikstaparr, May 21, 2010.

1. rikstaparr macrumors newbie

Hi I have a Macbook using OS X 10.

I also have 2 WD SATA ext HDD, 1 x 500GB 7 1 x 1.5TB Both are exactly the same spec. I have 1 SATA enclosure.
    The 500GB is NTFS (I use it for movies and Windows software) and I have formatted the 1.5TB into 2 partitons, 1.4TB Mac OS X (Journaled) and 100GB Windows NTFS. The 500GB is full and the 1.5TB is empty.

When I transfer data to/from the 500GB to my MAC (using the same Hi-Speed USB lead and enclosure as the 1.5TB (I swap the HDD's) it is considerably faster than the 1.5TB, say 8GB in around 3 minutes. But the same size transfer to the 1.5TB takes 3x longer.....Cany anybody help please?

Many thanks in advance.....Rik:confused:

2. miicah macrumors regular

500gb and 1.5tb can never be the same spec, because they use different platter sizes and maybe even vertical bit alignment.

If the 1.5 was one of the first ones to be made, I would expect it to be slower than the the 500gb. Not 3x slower but that might have something to do with the partitioning.

3. rikstaparr thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers

Cheers for the reply I was starting to loose hope!!! :)

Since I made the post I am unable to use the 1.5 after attempting to repair it using Disk Utility, It states it's updating the drivers and stays like that on Disk Utility, I have to close down. I do not have my OS X Disc (I'm away with the Navy)..so at the moment I can't do anything with it. i was going to remove the partition and just format it as OS X (Journaled)....anyway around no OS X disc that you could think of?!?

Thanks again....Rik

4. miicah macrumors regular

gParted might be able to format to JFS.

But it sounds like your disk might be dying, if you can't get it to read properly. I'd be wary of putting anything important on it for the next week or so.

5. rikstaparr thread starter macrumors newbie

The disk is brand new! Alas I'm at sea at the moment (Navy) so unable to dwonload anything online due to dial-up internet zzzzzzzzzzzzzz So not sure of what to do to be honest! Thanks for your help though, it's appreciated. :)

6. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Brand new drives sometimes fail... hard drives are the only part of your computer that are DEFINITELY going to fail at some point. Sometimes they last 15 years, sometimes they last a week.

Best wishes once you're able to use your OS X disc or high-speed internet!