Need Advices for 2010 Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CPekoz, Jun 10, 2014.

1. CPekoz macrumors newbie

Hello my friends,
    I'm currently full-time photojournalist for a local newspaper. After using 15 years PC, I started using iMac 2014 in office about 2 months ago. As you can guess, I love it. While I was searching for second hand lenses I came up with a 2010 Macbook White. So here is my question marathone:
    *Seller told me that it is 64GB HDD, but there is no 64 Gig model on Apple's official site.
    *Seller told me that its Ios 5, can I get higher operation system on it ?
    *Its 200$, is it expensive ?
    *Before buying it Im going to check it first, can you give advice me where should I look for defects?
    BTW I'm in a hurry little bit I'm at work for 18 hours and I have very short time..
    I'm looking forward for your answers and being a MacBook owner :)

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Ask the seller if the 64GB storage is a HDD or a SSD. It's probably a SSD considering its smaller size. SSDs are fast, but with only 64GB your Macbook storage is a bit tight. Think on upgrading with a bigger SSD in the future (250GB+). The 2010 White Macbook was the last white one and it supports up to 16GB of RAM (DDR3 1066 only).

Where to look for defects:
    - Battery: if you can open the bottom case, take a look if it's stuffed. Also in "About This Mac -> More Info -> System Report -> Power", take a look on its cycle count. If it's around 500, it's pretty conserved. Around 800-1100, it's pretty used.

- Trackpad: check if the physical clicks are working easily (when you do a physical click OSX should respond with the actual click). Some trackpads (like mine) are a bit used and need additional pressure to work, but the worse part is that you hear the physical click happening, but the logical click doesn't happen on the screen.

There is a way to attenuate or solve the problem: there is a screw below the trackpad where you can tighten it very slightly. Sometimes the click responsiveness increase after this adjust.

- Bottom rubberish cover: the bottom rubber sometimes detaches from the base during the wMacbook lifetime. Apple used to replace it for free (this happened with me).

I don't know what more to warn you. These unibody macbooks are very good machines.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Either the seller is clueless, or they have an iPad. $200 for a 2010 MacBook is a good price provided it is in good working order and comes with the appropriate charger.

----------

The program is still active. Owners of affected machines can bring their MacBooks to a Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider and get the bottom case swapped, or order a DIY kit from Apple directly online. Both methods are free of charge.