need advise, G5 or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by corelle, Jan 2, 2008.

1. corelle macrumors newbie

I got chance to buy Quad G5 with the same price for iMac 24
    which one should I choose?:confused:

Happy New Year to you all

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Both would have their advantages depending on what you want to do.

Personally, with MWSF only two weeks away, you might want to wait to see if any of the following pan out:

- New Mac Pros are introduced.

- New mini tower Mac is introduced.

Other issues that might be worth considering:

- If you want to run anything in Classic mode.

- If you prefer the All-in-one design of the iMac verses the customizable PowerMac G5 system.

Having said that, what are the specs to the PowerMac G5? How long do you have to make a decision? What software do you want to run?

3. corelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your kind reply

all the sudden i got two week critical time

mini tower ?

I become to miss secret さん

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There are some rumors that the Mac Mini may be discontinued and a Mini Mac Pro tower will be introduced.

The current Mac Pro (and the G5 you are considering) are the same size which is rather large. These workhorses or mostly for professionals because they can be customized and upgraded as time goes on. The current Mac Pros have multiple CPUs with multiple cores so they are very powerful.

Some would love to see a mini version of the Mac Pro. Customizable and powerful. The Mac Mini is somewhat of a closed system like the iMac.

Since you didn't mention what you are going to use your Mac for, another consideration is whether or not you need to run Windows applications. The new Intel Macs (which have an Intel x86 based CPU) can run Window XP or Vista natively via Bootcamp -- the same as if they were regular PCs. You can also run Windows via emulation using Parallels or VMWare. Note, with Bootcamp or emulation software, you will need to purchase your own copy of Windows XP or Vista.

The PowerMac G5 on the other hand is based upon the PowerPC CPU. It can only run an older emulation system call Virtual PC which supports up to Windows XP AFAIK. I don't believe that it will support Windows Vista -- but am not sure on this point. Unfortunately, Virtual PC is much slower at emulation because the G5 uses a PowerPC chip which is much different than the Intel x86 CPUs.

So if you need to run Windows applications, then I would suggest the current iMac 24 inch. If you do not need to run Windows applications, then the PowerMac G5 might be a better fit for you.

Again, it all depends on what you plan on doing to do with your computer.

5. corelle thread starter macrumors newbie

That is true when I need Windows may should go iMac

but someone told me that I still can buy PC instead.

My major concern was durability .

It's my straight feeling that iMac somehow...not so solid for me.;)

Thank you for your valuable information.:)

6. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

All this talk about a Mac Mini Tower, what makes you believe Apple will give you that? The rumor has been on forever.

You will just get disappointed..